Area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1

In summary: The area between them lies between these intersection points.In summary, the homework problem involves using double integrals to find the area inside one circle and outside another. The area is determined by finding the polar coordinates of the intersection points and using them as the limits of integration in the double integral of the function 1.
filter54321

Homework Statement

Use double integrals to find the area inside the circle r = 2 cos(θ) and outside the circle r = 1.

Homework Equations

I figured this was too easy to require an graphic. If you can't picture the circles, imagine them in rectangular from:
r = 2 cos(θ) ==> y2+(x-2)2=1
r = 1 ==> y2+x2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

Both circles have a radius of 1 and you need to look at all 2\pi of the objects to see the full area of overlap. So this is what I tried:

[tex]\int\stackrel{2\pi}{0}\int\stackrel{0}{1}[/tex] (2cos(θ)-r) drdθ

The book says the answer is but I can't get it:

[tex]\frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral to find area in polar coordinates is:
[tex]\iint_A r \, dr \, d\theta [/tex]

Adjust the limits of integration to match the equations given. The actual contents of the integral ([tex]r \, dr \, d\theta[/tex]) will remain the same.

You need to find the polar coordinates of the two curves intersections and use appropriate limits. Not everything goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] or 0 to 1.

Generally to find an area using polar coordinate double integrals you need something like this:

[tex]A = \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \int_{r_{inner}}^{r_{outer}}1\ rdrd\theta[/tex]

and you need to determine the correct limits from your formulas and picture.

Thanks, but that doesn't really get me any closer to an answer. Is the function I'm integrating correct? What are the ranges?

filter54321 said:
Thanks, but that doesn't really get me any closer to an answer. Is the function I'm integrating correct? What are the ranges?

I can't make much sense out of your integrals. To get area with a double integral, you integrate the function 1. You need to look at the graphs. Find the [itex]\theta[/itex]'s where they intersect by setting the r values equal.

1. What is the equation for the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1?

The equation for the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 is A = ∫[1 to 2 cos(θ)] 1/2 r^2 dθ.

2. How do you solve for the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1?

To solve for the area, you need to integrate the function 1/2 r^2 over the interval [1, 2 cos(θ)] with respect to θ. You can then evaluate the integral to find the area.

3. What does the graph of r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 look like?

The graph of r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 is a cardioid with a smaller circle inside. The area between the two curves represents the region inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1.

4. What is the significance of the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1?

The area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 is a mathematical concept used in polar coordinate systems. It represents the region bounded by two curves and can be used to solve various real-world problems.

5. Can the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 be negative?

No, the area inside r = 2 cos(θ) but outside r = 1 cannot be negative. The area is always a positive value, as it represents the magnitude of the region between two curves.