Mechanics question involving moments

In summary: Substituting values in the formula, we getF=\frac{(0.09)(9.8)(1.875)(\cos{15^{\circ}})}{2.5\sin{(15^{\circ}+65^{\circ})}}=649NIn summary, the lifting force for a plank of wood with a length of 2.5m, a mass of 90g, and a centre of mass at 1.875m from one end, is 649N. This is determined by balancing the forces and torques acting on the plank, including gravitational force, applied force, reaction force, and friction.
xllx

Homework Statement

A plank of wood is lifted off the ground so it has one side on the ground (A) and the rest of the wood at a slope at 15degrees to the horizontal. The length of the wood (AC) is 2.5m. A force is applied at C at 65degrees to the horizontal to the left keeping it in equilibrium. The mass of the wood is 90g and the centre of mass is at B (this was 1.875m from A when the wood was flat, so presuming that it is at the same point?). Show that the lifting force is 649N

Homework Equations

Moment= Force x Perpendicular distance
Total clockwise moments=total anticlockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I've tried taking moments about A so:
Fsin65 x 2.5 = 90gsin15x1.875

But this doesn't give the right answer.
Do I need to consider the reaction force at A? Or friction?
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have two equilibrium conditions:

[tex]\sum_{i}\vec{F_{i}}=0[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{i}\vec{\tau_{i}}=0[/tex]

Forces on the body are actually not relevant, but it's good to consider them. Besides gravitational force [tex]\vec{F_{g}}[/tex] and force [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] acting at point C there is also a reaction force [tex]\vec{N}[/tex] on A and friction [tex]\vec{F_{fr}}[/tex] acting to the right. Vector sum of all these forces equals to zero.

Another thing to consider is the net torque (which is also zero since body is not rotating). Since we don't know anything about reaction force and friction, we will calculate the torque relative to point A in order to eliminate them. (Distances of those forces from point A are zero, so the torques are also zero).

Torque is defined as

[tex]\vec{\tau}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}[/tex]

[tex]\tau=rF\sin{\varphi}[/tex]

So we have

[tex]\vec{\tau_{B}}+\vec{\tau_{C}}=0[/tex]

Algebraically

[tex]\tau_{B}=\tau_{C}[/tex]

[tex]mgl\cos{\alpha}=FL\sin{(\alpha+\beta)}[/tex]

Where [itex]m=90[/itex] kg, [itex]L=2.5[/itex] m, [itex]l=1.875[/itex] m, [itex]\alpha=15^{\circ}[/itex], [itex]\beta=65^{\circ}[/itex]. Angles are easily understood by looking at the geometry of the problem.

Finally, lifting force is

[tex]F=\frac{mgl\cos{\alpha}}{L\sin{(\alpha+\beta)}}[/tex]

1. What is a moment in mechanics?

A moment in mechanics refers to the turning effect of a force around a pivot point or axis.

2. How do you calculate a moment?

A moment can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the equation M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance.

3. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments about any point.

4. How does the distance affect the moment of a force?

The moment of a force is directly proportional to the distance from the pivot point. This means that the farther the force is from the pivot point, the greater the moment will be.

5. What are some real-life examples of moments in mechanics?

Some examples of moments in mechanics include opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, and using a seesaw. In each of these situations, a force is applied at a distance from the pivot point, resulting in a moment.