How many stars in our galaxy if they had the mass of our Sun.

In summary, the Sun rotates around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy at a distance of 3.00x10^4 light years and takes about 200 million years to make one rotation. Assuming a central uniform mass distribution, the estimated mass of our galaxy is approximately 2.81x10^-10 times the mass of the Sun. If all the stars in the galaxy had the same mass as the Sun, there would be about 3.98x10^31 stars in our galaxy.
balletgirl

Homework Statement

The Sun rotates about the center of the Milky Way Galaxy at a distance of about 3.00x10^4 light years from the center (1ly= 9.50x10^5 m). If it takes about 200 million years to make one rotation, estimate the mass of our galaxy. Assume the mass distribution of our galaxy is concentrated mostly in a central uniform sphere. If all the stars had about the same mass as our Sun, how many stars would there be in our galaxy?

Homework Equations

I have no clue, the most common equation I use is g=GM/r^2 and a=v^2/r.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the galaxy as if it was a planet that the sun was orbiting.

Well, g is just gravitational acceleration, and is the a in a=v^2/r... but there's an equation missing.

[tex]a=\frac{4 \pi^2 r}{T^2}[/tex]

Okay, so I did T= 200,000,000 yrs = 6.31x10^15 s
& R= 2.85x10^20

a=4pi^2*r/T^2
a= 4(3.14)^2*(2.85x10^20)/(6.31x10^15s)
a=39.4(2.85x10^20)/3.98x10^31
a= 2.81x10^-10

I doubt this is right since it is negative

No it's not... the exponent is negative, but the number is positive, just very small. And it should be small...

1. How many stars are in our galaxy?

The Milky Way galaxy is estimated to have between 200 and 400 billion stars.

2. What is the mass of our Sun compared to other stars in our galaxy?

The Sun is an average-sized star in terms of mass, with a mass of about 2 x 10^30 kilograms. There are both smaller and larger stars in our galaxy.

3. How many stars in our galaxy have the same mass as our Sun?

It is estimated that about 70% of the stars in our galaxy have a similar mass to our Sun.

4. What would happen if all the stars in our galaxy had the mass of our Sun?

If all the stars in our galaxy had the same mass as our Sun, it is likely that the structure and dynamics of our galaxy would be very different. Stars with higher masses have shorter lifetimes and can have a greater impact on their surrounding environment, potentially altering the formation and evolution of our galaxy.

5. How is the number of stars in our galaxy estimated?

The number of stars in our galaxy is estimated using various methods, including observations of the galaxy's size, brightness, and composition, as well as computer simulations and statistical analysis. These methods can provide a range of estimates, but the exact number of stars in our galaxy is still unknown.