Dot product and cross product of vectors

In summary, the four quantities in the homework statement are: (v x u) . w, (v x w) . u, (v x u) + (v x w) . u, and (v x u) . w + (v x w) . u.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

This isn't so much a problem of calculation, so much as it is I need to know if i did it right, you'll see what I mean.

vectors v=(2,0,2), u=(-1,1,0), w=(0,-1,1)
Computer the quantities that make sense (a period denotes the dot product, x denotes cross product):

(v.u)w

(v x u) x w + 1

(v x u) + (v.u)

(v x u) . w + (v x w) . u + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the first one is the form of scalar * vector which equals a vector

the second is the product two cross vectors, which is a vector, plus a scalar, which does not make sense.

The third has the form of a vector plus a scalar, which doesn't make sense

and the fourth:

(v x u) . w
is a vector cross vector, which is a vector, dotted with another which is a scalar

(v x w) . u + 1
is a vector cross vector, which is a vector, dotted with a vector, which is a scalar, plus 1, which is a scalar, so youre adding three scalars, which makes sense

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not see any problem here.

cool, thanks

wait, do you mean that you don't see what the "question" is, or you don't see a problem with my answer.

the question asks to evaluate the ones that make sense. i evaluated the first and last ones on the test because i thought that those were the ones that make sense. i am asking if those are indeed the ones that can be evaluated.

I see the question, but don't see any error on your part.
It is easy to check this kind of things using a math package. My favourite is simpy.
You define v in simpy this way:
v=Matrix([2,0,2])
You express (v x u) . w this way:
(v.cross(u)).dot(w)
Now you got the idea.

Ahh a minor error in your part: in the last one you add two scalars, not three.

well (v x u) . w is a scalar

(v x w) . u is a scalar

and 1 is a scalar

but thanks tho

1. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar (single) value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together. The dot product is also known as the scalar product or inner product.

2. How is the dot product useful?

The dot product is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, including vector calculus, geometry, and mechanics. It can be used to find the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and solve equations involving vectors.

3. What is the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a vector. It is calculated by taking the cross product of the individual components of the two vectors and arranging them in a specific order. The cross product is also known as the vector product or outer product.

4. How is the cross product useful?

The cross product is useful in many applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate torque, determine the direction of magnetic fields, and solve problems involving rotational motion. It is also used in 3D graphics to calculate the orientation of objects.

5. What is the relationship between the dot product and cross product?

The dot product and cross product are two different mathematical operations that involve vectors. The dot product results in a scalar, while the cross product results in a vector. The two operations are related in that they can be used to calculate the angle between two vectors and to determine if two vectors are perpendicular to each other. However, they have different properties and uses, and cannot be used interchangeably.