Finding a basis and dimension of a subspace

In summary, the basis for W is composed of linearly independent vectors {v1, ..., v5}. However, v2 and v4 are not independent because they both have a 1 in the third place.
black_89gt

Homework Statement

Let S={v1=[1,0,0,0],v2=[4,0,0,0],v3=[0,1,0,0],v4=[2,-1,0,0],v5=[0,0,1,0]}

Let W=spanS. Find a basis for W. What is dim(W)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that a basis is composed of linearly independent sets. This particular problem's basis cannot be greater than 4 since the last row of all of the column vectors is 0. i have looked all throughout my book and online through this site and i cannot figure out how to even start this problem. Please help me :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find a set that spans W and consists of linearly independent vectors. Are the vectors {v1, ..., v5} linearly independent? Use the method of setting a1v1 + ... + a5, v5 = 0, where the ai's are scalars, to check this.

i know that a basis is composed of linearly independent sets.

A basis is a set composed of linearly independent vectors (and it must also span the space)

Last edited:
no, they arent because the variable c3 and c4 depend on each other in row 2 of the matrix after setting c1v1+c2v2+c3v3+c4v4+c5v5=0.

When I do this, a1v1 + ... + a5, v5 = 0, i end up getting -a1=4a4; a3=a4=a5=0;

The set of all [a, b, c, d] is four dimensional so 5 vectors can't be independent. It should be easy to see that v2= 4v1 so you can just drop v2. v5 is independent of all the others because it has a "1" in the third place while all others have "0".

Finally, v4= [2, -1, 0, 0]= 2[1, 0, 0, 0]- 1[0, 1, 0, 0]= 2v1- v3 so you can drop v4. v1 and v3 are obviously independent.

1. What is a basis of a subspace?

A basis of a subspace is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in the subspace by a unique linear combination. It is the minimum set of vectors needed to span the subspace.

2. How do you find a basis of a subspace?

To find a basis of a subspace, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination to reduce the given vectors to their reduced row echelon form. The non-zero rows of the reduced matrix form a basis for the subspace.

3. What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of vectors in its basis. It represents the minimum number of linearly independent vectors needed to span the subspace.

4. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace?

To determine the dimension of a subspace, you can find the number of vectors in its basis. Alternatively, you can use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the dimension of a subspace is equal to the rank of its matrix representation minus the number of free variables in its reduced row echelon form.

5. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases. This is because there are infinitely many ways to express a vector in terms of a linear combination of other vectors. However, all bases of a subspace will have the same number of vectors, which is equal to the dimension of the subspace.