Do elementary particles know how old they are?

In summary, Neutrons do not "know" how old they are. There is a probability of survival with time, but it decreases with age. The decay of a neutron is based on chance, not on age.
tleilax
Hello

I am interested if there is yet a theory that states or has relationships that can be interpreted as stating the age of an elemetary particle. For example, if a neutron just sits around (unbounded) passing the time, does it know that it is not allowed to survive a certain age?

This question is triggered by a line I read (in an elementary particles physics book or maybe quantum theory book and it seemed like a personal comment of the author, not a scientific trend) saying something like "neutrons do not know how old they are". I can't remember what book it was in. Does this seem familiar to anybody?

Any kind of help is appreciated
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Elementary particles do not 'know' - as we define knowledge.

Protons and electrons have ostensibly been around forever. A free neutron is much less likely to have been around for as long as a proton or electron, since free neutrons decay with a half-life of approximately 10.23 min. Half life though is a statistical concept based on a population of particles or radionuclides, which decay. Not all particles/nuclei decay during the same period - about half survive the first half-life, a quarter of the original the second half life, and so on.

A free neutron could survive for 1, 2, . . . , 10, . . . 20, . . . , 30, . . . half-lives. However, the probability of survival decreases with time.

Neutrons in a nucleus could have been around forever.

Astronuc said:
Elementary particles do not 'know' - as we define knowledge.

Protons and electrons have ostensibly been around forever. A free neutron is much less likely to have been around for as long as a proton or electron, since free neutrons decay with a half-life of approximately 10.23 min. Half life though is a statistical concept based on a population of particles or radionuclides, which decay. Not all particles/nuclei decay during the same period - about half survive the first half-life, a quarter of the original the second half life, and so on.

A free neutron could survive for 1, 2, . . . , 10, . . . 20, . . . , 30, . . . half-lives. However, the probability of survival decreases with time.

Neutrons in a nucleus could have been around forever.

I have a neutron in my left toe that has been around untainted since the BB. Honest!

That aside: tleilax, particles don't have some mechanism or sense of apoptosis like animal cells, as Astronuc says, it's just a matter of odds.

I know that the accepted view is what you guys said. And I am not saying that neutrons have souls, but "just odds" is not enough for me. I was just wondering if there was some underlying physics I missed.

tleilax said:
I know that the accepted view is what you guys said. And I am not saying that neutrons have souls, but "just odds" is not enough for me. I was just wondering if there was some underlying physics I missed.

What would be a cause of decay other than odds?

it's odds accordig to the beautiful mathematics of quantum mechanics and the fact that they actually do fit experimental data:)

but there were people before that did not agree to dynamics based on dice throwing and I am wondering if some of the newer theories discuss concepts related to what might be called "rest frame knowledge of age"

Astronuc said:
free neutrons decay with a half-life of approximately 10.23 min.

The exponential decay law can be derived from the assumption that all particles of a particular type have a fixed probability of decaying during a unit of time, regardless of their age. For example, a free neutron has a probability of 0.113% of decaying during the next second, provided that it still exists at the start of that second.

Therefore, when considering particle decays, it is not necessary for the particle to "know" how old it is. Maybe it really does, but as far as we know, it doesn't make any difference for anything we can observe.

Would it be wrong to answer the title of this thread with, "A cesium clock."? :biggrin:

Thank you jtbell, what you are saying makes sense at some level and it is important that you said that we cannot discriminate observationally in this issue. But, as Feynman said, we still do not know the rules of chess.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I'll be in touch if I find something else:)

nismaratwork said:
Would it be wrong to answer the title of this thread with, "A cesium clock."? :biggrin:
I was going to say they don't know their ages, but they do know the dates of their next birthdays.

1. What are elementary particles?

Elementary particles are the smallest known building blocks of matter. They make up the fundamental particles that make up atoms and all other matter in the universe.

2. How old are elementary particles?

It is not possible to assign an age to elementary particles. They are considered to be eternal and do not age in the traditional sense. However, they do have properties that can change over time, such as their energy and momentum.

3. Do elementary particles have a lifespan?

No, elementary particles do not have a lifespan. They are considered to be fundamental and do not decay or break down into smaller particles.

4. How do scientists study the properties of elementary particles?

Scientists study elementary particles using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can observe the interactions and properties of these particles.

5. Can the age of the universe be determined by studying elementary particles?

The age of the universe is not directly determined by studying elementary particles. However, by studying the behavior and interactions of particles in the early universe, scientists can gain insights into the age and evolution of the universe.