A very simple question in vector

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, a vector in science is a quantity with both magnitude and direction, represented by an arrow. It differs from a scalar, which only has magnitude. Vectors are important in science for describing physical quantities and interactions. To add or subtract vectors, their components must be calculated and combined using mathematical operations. Vectors can be multiplied by a scalar but not divided by another vector.
yungman
Let [itex] \vec{A} [/itex] be a vector with length [itex] |\vec{ A}| [/itex]

[tex] \hat{A} \;=\; \frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{ A}|} [/tex]

1) What is [tex] \frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{ A}|}[/tex] If [itex]|\vec{A}| [/itex] = 0?

2) What is [tex] |\frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{ A}|}| [/tex] If [itex]|\vec{A}| [/itex] = 0?

My answer for 1) is [itex] \hat{A}[/itex] and 2) equal to 1

Please tell me why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the only vector whose length is zero, is the zero vector ([tex]\vec 0[/tex]).
And the one vector that you can't stretch or shrink to unit length, is the unit vector.
So IMO, [tex]\hat 0[/tex] is not defined and the answers to both your questions are basically the same as the answer to "what is x / 0?".

By the way, how do you mean "please tell me why." Should we tell you why you answered A and 1?

This is from PDE book by Strauss p194. On the Green's function on a sphere.

The equation is:

[tex] G(\vec{x},\vec{x_0}) = -\frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\vec{x} -\vec{x_0}\right\|} + \frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\frac{r_0}{a} \vec{x} -\frac{a}{r_0}\vec{x_0}\right\|}[/tex]

The book gave

[tex]G(\vec{x},0) = -\frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\vec{x} \right\|} + \frac{1}{4\pi a} [/tex]

when [itex]\vec{x_0}=0[/itex]

If what you said is true, this will not be correct.

Please help.

yungman said:
This is from PDE book by Strauss p194. On the Green's function on a sphere.

The equation is:

[tex] G(\vec{x},\vec{x_0}) = -\frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\vec{x} -\vec{x_0}\right\|} + \frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\frac{r_0}{a} \vec{x} -\frac{a}{r_0}\vec{x_0}\right\|}[/tex]

The book gave

[tex]G(\vec{x},0) = -\frac{1}{4\pi \left\|\vec{x} \right\|} + \frac{1}{4\pi a} [/tex]

when [itex]\vec{x_0}=0[/itex]

If what you said is true, this will not be correct.

Please help.

I don't see what the problem is. G(x, 0) doesn't involve [itex]x_0[/itex], so it doesn't matter that [itex]x_0[/itex] happens to be zero.

Mark44 said:
I don't see what the problem is. G(x, 0) doesn't involve [itex]x_0[/itex], so it doesn't matter that [itex]x_0[/itex] happens to be zero.

But you can clearly see the first term of the denominator equal zero and the second term is a. This means:

[tex] |\frac{\vec{x_0}}{r_0}|=1[/tex]

[tex]r_0=|\vec{x_0}|[/tex]

Last edited:
But that is NOT in what you quoted orginally. And, surely, where it the text says
it also has a provision for the case that [itex]|\vec{x_0}|\ne 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
But that is NOT in what you quoted orginally. And, surely, where it the text says
it also has a provision for the case that [itex]|\vec{x_0}|\ne 0[/itex].

The textbook did not say anything, but if you look at the formula given by the book, [itex] |\frac{\vec{x_0}}{r_0}|=1[/itex] is the only way for the forumlas to be true. That is where I am confused. Here is what the book gave:

If [itex]x_0\neq 0[/itex]:

The book gave when [itex]\vec{x_0}=0[/itex]

Last edited:
Anyone please? This is on p194 of the PDE book by Strauss equation (11).
Thanks

Alan

I don't know the book you're talking about, and it really doesn't matter for your question.

Division by zero, even when we're talking about vectors, is undefined.

If you arrive at a statement [tex] \hat{A} \;=\; \frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{ A}|} [/tex] and |A| = 0 in your calculations, you have made a mistake earlier.

It could very well be that the mistake is in your textbook.

Resolving this invalid division is simply a matter of restricting the domain appropriately. Many authors will take this for granted and perform operations which are invalid at a handful of points.

For example, if I have two functions f and g, and f(x) g(x) = 1, I CANNOT say that f(x) = 1/g(x), because g(x) might evaluate to zero at some places. More correctly, I must say f(x) = 1/g(x) for all x where g(x) /= 0... but that's a lot to write out, and often clutters the more important point being made by the author.

Note that [tex]\hat{A} \;=\; \frac{\vec{A}}{|\vec{ A}|}[/tex] is how you "normalize" a vector (find a vector in the same direction, but whose length is 1). The zero vector is the only vector that cannot be normalized, because it doesn't have a direction.

1. What is a vector in science?

A vector in science is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented graphically by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity as it includes both the speed and the direction of motion.

3. What is the importance of vectors in science?

Vectors are important in science as they are used to describe and analyze physical quantities such as force, displacement, and velocity. They allow us to understand the movement and interactions of objects in the physical world.

4. How do you add and subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first determine their components (magnitude and direction). Then, you can use mathematical operations such as addition and subtraction to combine the components. The resulting vector will have a magnitude and direction calculated from the combined components.

5. Can vectors be multiplied or divided?

Vectors can be multiplied by a scalar quantity, which changes the magnitude of the vector but not its direction. They cannot be divided by a vector, as division is not a defined operation for vectors.