Solving for <Lx^2> and <Ly^2>: How do I show that <Lx^2> = <Ly^2>?

In summary, the homework statement asks if a particle is in an angular momentum eigenstate, and if so, shows that <Lx> = <Ly> = 0. Additionally, it asks for equations that relate <Lx^2> = <Ly^2> and <Lz^2>, but provides no further information.
J man

Homework Statement

If a particle is in an angular momentum eigenstate, psi, show that <Lx> = <Ly> = 0, where <Lx> is the angular momentum in the x-direction.

Also show that <Lx^2> = <Ly^2> = [(h bar)^2][l(l+1)-m^2]/2

Homework Equations

L^2 = (Lx^2)+(Ly^2)+(Lz^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by rewriting my relevant equation as:

<Lx^2>+<Ly^2>= <L^2>-<Lz^2>

I then applied previous knowledge to rewrite the right side as

<Lx^2>+<Ly^2>= (h bar^2)l(l+1)psi-(h bar^2)m^2 psi

I'm then able to rewrite this as the second desired "show that" in the problem, I just have no idea how to apply this to the first. I understand that if I can show the right hand side is zero, <Lx^2> must equal <Ly^2> which would be zero, but I don't know why or how to show that part to prove part A. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about using the commutator [tex][L_x,L_z]=...[/tex] and calculating its expectation value in an eigenstate of [tex]L_z[/tex]. Perhaps you will be able to deduce something from this?

Okay...so I'm trying to work this out, and these are my steps:

I know (Lz) psi = (h bar)m psi

so expectation value of the commutator would be:

<psi|(Lx)(Lz)-(Lz)(Lx)|psi> = <psi|(Lx)(Lz)|psi>-<psi|(Lz)(Lx)|psi>

= <(Lx)psi|(Lz)psi>-<(Lz)psi|(Lx)psi> = <(Lx)psi|(h bar)m psi>-<(h bar)m psi|(Lx)psi>

from that point I'm not sure exactly where to go. Would that last expression be equal to -i(h bar)(Ly)?

OR would it be equal to zero if Lx is hermitian?

Do you know how to express [tex]L_x[/tex] and [tex]L_y[/tex] in terms of the ladder operators [tex]L_\pm[/tex]? That's the easiest way to compute expectation values.

Edit: The two expectation values on the RHS in post 3 are real and equal because [tex]L_x[/tex] is Hermitian. Can you relate that calculation to one of the expectation values that you wanted to compute?

Well, looking back at my notes the only instances in class in which we used ladder operators were in calculating energy level differences, eigen-values and in re-writing L^2 as a function of the L+/- operators and Lz.

The simplest way would seem to be writing L+/- = Lx +/- i Ly, then solving for Lx and Ly, would I think plug that into the commutator for the expectation value?

No, just plug it into the expression for <Lx> directly.

Okay, so referring to the non-ladder method, is the association I was supposed to make that the expectation value of the commutator of Lx, Lz should be equal to the expectation value of i (h bar) Ly which just reduces to the constants multiplied by the expectation value of Ly which would then be zero?

You could conclude the expectation values are related by a constant, but you couldn't say yet that they're both 0.

Okay, I was trying to apply my calculation of the expectation values of the commutator, which I found to be 0, with the expectation value of the normal commutator result, i(h bar)Ly. In which case, the i and h bar drop and I'm left with <Ly>=0. Is this not correct?

Sorry, you're right. I didn't think about it too carefully.

Thank you everyone. I've been having a hard time getting used to operator algebra so this is appreciated.

What is quantum angular momentum?

Quantum angular momentum is a physical property of subatomic particles that describes their rotational motion. It is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and plays a key role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

How is quantum angular momentum measured?

Quantum angular momentum is measured using the quantum mechanical operators known as angular momentum operators. These operators act on the wave function of a particle and give the information about its angular momentum in terms of magnitude and direction.

What is the significance of quantum angular momentum?

Quantum angular momentum is significant because it is a conserved quantity in quantum systems, meaning it remains constant over time. It also determines the energy levels and allowed transitions of particles, making it crucial in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

Can quantum angular momentum be changed?

Yes, quantum angular momentum can be changed through interactions with other particles or by applying external forces. However, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, following the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

What are the different types of quantum angular momentum?

There are two types of quantum angular momentum: orbital angular momentum, which is associated with the motion of a particle around an axis, and spin angular momentum, which is an intrinsic property of a particle and is not related to its motion. Both types are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values.