Confusion about How Dirac discovered Dirac's Equation

In summary: This statement, together with the equation for the delta function, is equivalent to the equation for the wavefunction.
petergreat
When I learned about Dirac's Equation, textbooks usually say that the earlier Klein-Gordon equation isn't linear in time derivative, contrary to what we expect from the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, therefore Dirac had to come up with a version that's linear. However, I think this doesn't really make sense. Klein-Gordon equation is perfectly acceptable if electrons were bosons. The only justification for Dirac's equation is the fermionic nature of electrons.

The "linear time derivative" argument just seems to be some irrelevant out-dated intuition from the structure of non-relativistic QM, and its only benefit is that we preserve the form of Schrodinger's equation and we can still talk about "Hamiltonian" and "energy levels" in a rather similar manner, e.g. in atomic physics, without going into quantum field theory. In contrast, for the Klein-Gordon equation you must treat it as a quantum field to recover the concept of Hamiltonian (now a field Hamiltonian) and a time-dependent Schrodinger equation which by definition is linear in time derivative. In short, the "linear time derivative" property just makes semi-classical treatment easy, and doesn't really have physical content.

Does what I say make sense? Or am I confused about something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll summary my point again. Dirac's equation, with a suitable choice of representation for the gamma matrices, happens to look like a time-dependent Schrodinger equation, while the Klein-Gordon equation lacks this property. However in view of QFT, this fact is not meaningful, because both of the are just classical field equations.

petergreat said:
...Dirac had to come up with a version that's linear. However, I think this doesn't really make sense. Klein-Gordon equation is perfectly acceptable if electrons were bosons. ...?
The "linear time derivative" (meaning the differential equation is first order in time) reflects a belief in strict deterministic time evolution of the wave function. The state of the system at one instant of time depends entirely on the state at the previous instant.
A system that evolves according to a DE that is second order in time needs state information at two previous instants(or state plus derivative) implying the state needs some sort of 'memory' to evolve in time.
A 2nd order system also generates those awkward advanced solutions.
At least that's the way I understand it.
I quote from section 27 of "Princples of Quantum Mechanics": Dirac postulates: "...the state at one time determines the state at another time.." .

1. What is Dirac's Equation?

Dirac's Equation is a mathematical formula created by British physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 to describe the behavior of electrons in quantum mechanics. It combines elements of both quantum mechanics and special relativity and is a fundamental equation in the field of theoretical physics.

2. How did Dirac discover his famous equation?

Dirac's Equation was discovered by Paul Dirac while he was working to extend the principles of quantum mechanics to include special relativity. He combined the Schrödinger Equation, which describes the behavior of particles on a quantum level, with the relativistic energy-momentum relation and the spin of electrons to derive the equation.

3. Why is there confusion about how Dirac discovered his equation?

There is confusion about how Dirac discovered his equation because he did not publish his work until after other scientists had already published similar equations. Additionally, he himself changed his approach to the equation several times, leading to different versions and interpretations.

4. What impact did Dirac's Equation have on physics?

Dirac's Equation revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics and had a profound impact on the understanding of the behavior of electrons and other subatomic particles. It also led to the prediction of the existence of antimatter, which was later confirmed by experiments.

5. Is Dirac's Equation still relevant today?

Yes, Dirac's Equation is still very relevant in modern physics. It is used in many areas of theoretical physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It has also been extended and modified to describe other particles and their interactions, such as the Higgs boson.