Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem: Solving for the Unknown Charge

In summary, the value of the third charge (z) must be equal to -q/2 in order for the three charges to be placed at the corners of the equilateral triangle with zero net work. The work done for bringing the first charge (q) in is zero, while the work done for bringing the second charge (q) in is kq^2/d. The total work must be zero, therefore the work done for bringing the third charge (z) in is 2kqz/d, resulting in z = -q/2.
Romperstomper
Question: Three point charges, which are initially at infinity, are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides d. Two of the point charges have a charge of q. If zero net work is required to place the three charges at the corners of the triangle, what must the value be of the third charge?

What I did:
q = 2 of the charges
z = the third charge
d = the final distance between each charge

[tex] 0 = Uelec_q + Uelec_q + Uelec_z [/tex]

[tex] 0 = kq(\frac{-1}{d}) + kq(\frac{-1}{d}) + kz(\frac{-1}{d})[/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{-2kq}{d} - \frac{kz}{d} [/tex]

[tex] -2q = z [/tex]

The correct answer is [tex] \frac{-q}{2} = z [/tex]
Can anyone see what I did wrong? I've tried this problem a few times and have gotten the same answer each time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Romperstomper said:
Question: Three point charges, which are initially at infinity, are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides d. Two of the point charges have a charge of q. If zero net work is required to place the three charges at the corners of the triangle, what must the value be of the third charge?

What I did:
q = 2 of the charges
z = the third charge
d = the final distance between each charge

[tex] 0 = Uelec_q + Uelec_q + Uelec_z [/tex]

[tex] 0 = kq(\frac{-1}{d}) + kq(\frac{-1}{d}) + kz(\frac{-1}{d})[/tex]

No work is needed to bring in the first charge (q).
The second charge (q) feels the field of the first one. The work needed to place it at a distance d from the first charge is
[tex]W_1 = k(\frac{q^2}{d})[/tex].
The third charge feels the force from both charges already present.The potential at the third corner of the triangle is
[tex]U=2k(\frac{q}{d})[/tex].
So the work done when the charge z is brought in from infinity is z times this potential,
[tex]W_2 = 2k(\frac{qz}{d})[/tex].
And the total work is zero.

ehild

Ahh. I see where I messed up now. I wasn't taking into account the second charge in the [tex] Uelec [/tex] formula and was leaving out the [tex] Uelec [/tex] of the other 'z' on each. I was looking at it as all points moving together at the same time instead of each one moving individually.

Thanks a bunch! :biggrin:

What is the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem?

The Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the unknown charge at one of the vertices of an equilateral triangle when the charges at the other two vertices are known.

What are the steps to solve the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem?

The steps to solve the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem are as follows:

1. Draw the equilateral triangle and label the known charges at each vertex.
  2. Use the distance formula to find the distance between the unknown charge and the known charges.
  3. Apply Coulomb's Law to set up an equation with the known charges, the distance between them, and the unknown charge.
  4. Solve the equation algebraically to find the value of the unknown charge.

What is Coulomb's Law and how is it used in the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two point charges. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem, Coulomb's Law is used to set up an equation to solve for the unknown charge.

What are some practical applications of the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem?

The Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem has practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, where it can be used to determine the strength of electric fields and the behavior of electrically charged particles. It is also used in physics experiments and simulations to understand the behavior of charged particles in a closed system.

What are the limitations of the Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem?

The Equilateral Triangle Point Charge Problem assumes that the charges are point charges and that they are stationary. In real-world scenarios, charges may have a finite size and may be moving, which can affect the accuracy of the solution. It also assumes that there are only three charges in an equilateral triangle, but in some cases, there may be more charges or they may not be arranged in an equilateral triangle. In these cases, a different approach may be needed to solve for the unknown charge.