Circuits: Is this Drawn Right?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the direction of current flow in a circuit and the polarity of different elements connected to Node A. It is mentioned that current typically flows from + to - through an element, but in this particular circuit, elements AB and FA have the opposite polarities. The conversation also touches on the effects of connecting batteries with different polarities and charging a cell. It is explained that the current labels in the circuit are just labels and may turn out to be negative, indicating that the assumed directions were incorrect.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Here is a figure from my text and I am wondering if this is a mistake:

Screenshot2011-01-30at95552PM.png
Now, what is going on at Node A? I was always shown that the current flows from + to - through an element of a circuit. When you look at the elements connected to A, element AB has the current flowing from + to - and the element FA has it from - to +. More importantly, how can elements AB and FA have the polarities shown?

I won't even get into Node C until I figure out what is happening at A.

Please help :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Current do flow from - to +
What if you connect 6V and 3V batteries with +,+ connected and -,- connected?
what happens when you charge a cell?

cupid.callin said:
Current do flow from - to +
What if you connect 6V and 3V batteries with +,+ connected and -,- connected?
what happens when you charge a cell?

Hi c.c :smile: So are we saying that in this particular circuit drawn, what ever the potential vAB is, it must be large enough to draw the current across the element FA. That is, by itself FA would *like* to have current flowing from + to -. But since it is in the presence of whatever element AB is, its current is *forced* back through it.

The current labels are just that: labels. They are variables without pre-assigned value (to be determined). When the values are determined by solving the appropriate equations, some may turn out to be negative, indicating that the assumed directions were not in accord with the true situation.

You shouldn't let this worry you. Variables are, well, variable after all.

I understand your confusion about the polarity and current direction in this circuit. It is important to note that the direction of current flow is arbitrary and can be defined in either direction. In this circuit, the direction of current flow is shown in opposite directions for elements AB and FA, but this does not affect the overall functioning of the circuit. What matters is the relative polarity of the elements and how they are connected.

At Node A, the current is flowing from the positive terminal of element AB to the negative terminal of element FA. This is consistent with the direction of current flow in the rest of the circuit. As for the polarities of elements AB and FA, they are shown correctly in this diagram. Element AB is a resistor, which typically has a positive terminal at the top and a negative terminal at the bottom. Element FA is a voltage source, which usually has a positive terminal at the top and a negative terminal at the bottom. This is a common convention used in circuit diagrams.

As for Node C, it is important to note that it is not necessary for all elements in a circuit to have the same polarity. In this case, element CF is a capacitor, which has a positive terminal at the top and a negative terminal at the bottom. This is consistent with the polarity shown in the diagram.

In conclusion, while the direction of current flow may seem inconsistent in this circuit diagram, it does not affect the functioning of the circuit. The polarities of the elements are shown correctly and Node C is functioning as intended. I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion.

1. How can I tell if my circuit diagram is drawn correctly?

There are a few key things to look for when checking the correctness of a circuit diagram. First, make sure that all components are connected with the correct wires and that there are no loose or disconnected wires. Additionally, check that all components are oriented correctly and that the wiring matches the direction of current flow. Finally, make sure that all connections are properly labeled and that the circuit follows the basic principles of circuit design.

2. What are the most common mistakes people make when drawing a circuit diagram?

One of the most common mistakes is forgetting to label components or connections, which can lead to confusion and errors when building the circuit. Another common mistake is not following the direction of current flow, which can result in a non-functional circuit. Finally, incorrect placement or orientation of components can also cause issues with the functionality of the circuit.

3. Do I need to use specific symbols when drawing a circuit diagram?

While there are standard symbols used in circuit diagrams, as long as your diagram is clear and accurately represents the components and connections in the circuit, you can use your own symbols if you prefer. However, it is important to make sure that whoever is reading the diagram understands the symbols you are using.

4. Can I use a software program to draw circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are many software programs available that allow you to create circuit diagrams. These programs often have built-in libraries of standard symbols and make it easy to create professional-looking diagrams. However, it is important to still check the correctness of the diagram and make any necessary adjustments before building the circuit.

5. Are there any special considerations for drawing more complex circuits?

As the complexity of a circuit increases, it becomes even more important to carefully plan and draw the diagram. Make sure to break the circuit into smaller sections and label each section clearly. It may also be helpful to use different colors for different sections of the circuit. Additionally, double-check all connections and make sure they are accurate and easy to follow.