University fpr Engineering Physics in an english speaking country

In summary: I'm not sure if you're looking for a university list or for a university that is good in optics, but here are some suggestions:- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: MIT is one of the most prestigious universities in the world, and they have a very strong optics program.- Imperial College London: Imperial has a great reputation for physics research, and their optics program is highly rated.- University of Oxford: Oxford is one of the oldest universities in the world, and their physics program is highly respected.- University of Cambridge: Cambridge is another highly respected university for physics research.
Gauß
Hello

I'm a student from Germany and I'm studying Engineering Physics in the end of the 5th semester.
I really want to study in an english speaking country like USA, Australia or UK. It is the biggest dream I ever had.

Unfortunally I never was the best student in my courses. I would say I'm a pretty good student, with a lot of energy, fun, cleverness and satisfaction but I never was the best.
I know a lot of the big Universities like MIT, Oxford and Co. In my opinion I think it is improbably that I can get it there.

I'm searching for a university that is very good in optics.
Can you help me please or give me some advise? I need an overview about the universities that are good and that are not so expensive like MIT, Oxford and Co.

Thank you very much.

Sorry for my bad english :-)
I hope you can understand my question. If note please ask me.

Regards,
Gauß

Physics news on Phys.org
As an foreign student it is highly unlike that your financial requirement of "not so expensive" (whatever that means, perhaps you'd care to be more specific about what you can afford) can be met. Top schools are more likely to be more generous with financial aid, but a State school will charge you the out-of-state rate (obviously) while other, smaller schools won't save you any money either.

Gauß said:
Hello

I'm a student from Germany and I'm studying Engineering Physics in the end of the 5th semester.
I really want to study in an english speaking country like USA, Australia or UK. It is the biggest dream I ever had.

Unfortunately I never was the best student in my courses. I would say I'm a pretty good student, with a lot of energy, fun, cleverness and satisfaction but I never was the best.
I know a lot of the big Universities like MIT, Oxford and Co. In my opinion I think it is improbable that I can get there.

Can you help me please or give me some advise? I need an overview about the universities that are good and that are not so expensive like MIT, Oxford and Co.

Thank you very much.

I hope you can understand my question. If not please ask me.

Regards,
Gauß

Your English is GOOD. :)

Not so expensive means not more than 5000 Euro in a year.

Maybee I can find a person in this forum, who is studying Engineering Physics and who can tell me about his university and/or give me some advises.
The point is, I'm total unfamiliar with the Britsh or US university system. But I'm sure there are some brilliant other universities offsite the famous Ivy League.

For example in Germany we have 5-10 famous universities but over 100 other smaller really good university to study physics. Often they are very small but with very good proffs and equipment. For me its not important if the university is famous or not. I just want a good university with nice proffs, good equipment, good lifequality and good future. In contrast to the german university landscape the US landscape for me is very confusing. So it would be nice from you if you can just name me some universities which you think they are good to study, so you give me a starting point where I ca start to searching for my own.

@Helken: Thank you. I'm glad to read that :-)

Regards,
Gauß

What about the erasmus programme?? It allows you to study one year at a university of your choice (although there are limits I think). And you'll just be paying your regular german university, instead of the entry fee of the english university...

The University of Maine at Orono has the only accredited Engineering Physics program in New England. It's a very nice campus, if you can stand the weather. The engineering school is home to some cutting-edge materials-science projects with applications in civil engineering and green technology. Tuition costs might just squeak into your budget, too.

micromass said:
What about the erasmus programme?? It allows you to study one year at a university of your choice (although there are limits I think). And you'll just be paying your regular german university, instead of the entry fee of the english university...

The erasmus program has two disadvantages:
- The country has to be in europe. But that's ok for me.
- the university has to be a partner university of my home university. My home university is very small

Thank you for the tip with the University of Maine. It could be an option for me.

Dou you know if there is a list which contains all Universities in your country (US, UK, Australia) where you can study physics? That would be very helpful to orientate myself. Then I can look for myself and see what University I like and which I don't like.

Just to be clear, are you looking for just a semester/year abroad as part of your undergraduate, a Master's programme or a PhD programme?

I can probably find you some UK universities who are supposedly quite good at optics/photonic - I don't think I've ever heard of Engineering Physics being offered in the UK though.

xGAME-OVERx said:
Just to be clear, are you looking for just a semester/year abroad as part of your undergraduate, a Master's programme or a PhD programme?

I can probably find you some UK universities who are supposedly quite good at optics/photonic - I don't think I've ever heard of Engineering Physics being offered in the UK though.

I'm looking for a Master programme. Not only for one semester but rather for one year. After my Master degree I want to start a PhD programme.

If you can find me some UK universities who are supposendly quite good at optics/photonics that would be very nice. In the future I want to concentrate at optics.

Gauß

I heard that the University of Central Florida (orlando, FL) has a very good Optics program, they've been pretty selective these last couple of years ( I go to nearby UNF) but nothing compared to the big leagues (as far as I know).

Carleton University in Ottawa has an Eng Phys program that is accredited (and the Canadian accreditation process is brutal). It's in the capital so you get easy access to the embassy and is small city of only 800 000. Not sure on what they're working on but I know the undergrads do a lot of optics and electronics work. On the plus side Carleton Eng is one of the better Eng Faculties in the country with everything from civil to spacecraft engineering.

I assume you want a taught master programme, not a research masters?

The two that spring to mind are...

Imperial College London:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/physics/postgraduatecourses/opap

St. Andrews:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/physics/Prosp_PG.shtml#POED
(about 3/4 of the way down)

I would think you would be best to do a two years masters in mainland Europe somewhere, a lot of them of taught in English. Unfortunately for some reason the UK refuses to comply with the Bologna process so our masters degrees are arguably inferior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gauß said:
Hello

Unfortunally I never was the best student in my courses. I would say I'm a pretty good student, with a lot of energy, fun, cleverness and satisfaction but I never was the best.
I know a lot of the big Universities like MIT, Oxford and Co. In my opinion I think it is improbably that I can get it there.

Thank you very much.

I hope you can understand my question. If note please ask me.

Regards,
Gauß

Don't know much about it, but the University of Alberta (in Canada) has an Engineering Physics course. You might want to look into it.

What is the difference between engineering physics and other engineering majors?

Engineering physics is a unique interdisciplinary field that combines principles of physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve complex problems in engineering. Unlike other engineering majors, engineering physics focuses on the fundamental physical principles and their applications in engineering.

What are the career options for graduates with a degree in engineering physics?

Graduates with a degree in engineering physics have a wide range of career options in various industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, electronics, and research and development. They can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, and educators in these fields.

What are the admission requirements for a university offering engineering physics in an English speaking country?

The admission requirements vary from university to university, but generally, applicants are required to have a strong background in mathematics and physics, along with a high school diploma or equivalent. Some universities may also require standardized test scores and letters of recommendation.

What sets apart a university's engineering physics program from others?

Each university's engineering physics program may have its own unique features and strengths. However, some common factors that set apart a program include the quality of faculty, research opportunities, industry collaborations, and modern facilities and equipment.

Is it possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering physics after completing an undergraduate degree in another engineering major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering physics after completing an undergraduate degree in another engineering major. However, some universities may require additional coursework or prerequisites to bridge the knowledge gap between the two fields. It is best to consult with the specific university for their requirements.