Fluorescent Paints: Chemical Structure & Invisible Application

• Thread starter jhirlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, the conversation discusses the general chemical structure of fluorescent paints, which are invisible except when radiated with UV light. The speaker is interested in using these paints to create an invisible design in their room, but is unable to find them in stores. They also express interest in the chemistry behind fluorescent paints and ask for clarification on the structure of fluorescent chromophores. A resource on fluorescence is provided for further understanding.
jhirlo
What is general chemical structure of fluorescent paints (one’s that are invisible except when radiated with UV light).

I’m especially interested in this because I would like to maybe paint something on walls of my room invisibly, but seen under UV lamp (cool, a ?:)). :biggrin:

But I can't find (except on the net) that kind of colors in my stores (there are ones that are both visible under “normal” light and UV light, but I don’t want them).

+ I’m interested in chemistry, so I would like to know it’s structure.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First of all, let me discuss the term "fluorescent" in terms of physics and chemistry:

If an ultraviolet (or X-rays, cathode rays, etc) radiation is absorbed and emitted as longer-wavelength-rays, this is called fluorescence.

For a better knowledge, please refer to this resource.

Huh :uhh: , thank you for answering but, let me rephrase.

I just want to know, what are fluorescent chromophores in structural sense used in fluorescent paints. By that I mean what functional element is usually used when you’re synthesizing fluorescent dye to give it characteristic known as fluorescence (and know you say something like: “it’s usually benzene ring that gives fluorescence to fluorescent dyes”).

I know almost everything about florescence as physical phenomena.

I hope that I was a little bit clearer now (this is as much as I can be, when speaking in English).

:) I haven’t noticed link in your reply till know, that’s helpful.

1. What is the chemical structure of fluorescent paints?

Fluorescent paints contain fluorescent pigments that are made up of organic compounds, typically aromatic hydrocarbons. These compounds contain conjugated double bonds, which allow for high energy absorption and re-emission of light in the visible spectrum.

2. How does fluorescent paint become invisible under certain lighting conditions?

Fluorescent paints appear invisible under certain lighting conditions because they absorb light at one wavelength and re-emit it at a longer wavelength, making it appear as if there is no light being reflected back to the viewer.

3. What makes fluorescent paints glow under UV light?

Fluorescent paints contain phosphors that absorb UV light and emit visible light. This gives them a glowing appearance under UV light, as the phosphors are excited and emit light in the visible spectrum.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using fluorescent paints?

While fluorescent paints are generally safe to use, some may contain toxic chemicals such as lead or cadmium. It is important to read the label and follow safety precautions when using these paints.

5. Can fluorescent paints be used for outdoor applications?

Fluorescent paints can be used for outdoor applications as long as they are properly sealed and protected from exposure to UV light, which can cause them to fade over time. Some fluorescent paints are specifically designed for outdoor use and have a longer lifespan.