What Career Path Should a Young Aspiring Astrophysicist Consider?

In summary, Alexis is a 16-year-old who loves physics, especially astronomy. They are currently doing their IGCSE's and are unsure of what A-Levels to choose for their future career. They have an interest in theoretical physics but are not sure what specific job they would like to pursue. They also have a passion for languages, including Greek, German, English, and French. Alexis is considering pursuing a Ph.D and is seeking advice on what courses to take and which universities to attend, with their top choices being MIT and Caltech. They are new to the forum and hope to receive helpful advice.
Alex1995
Hi, I am new to physicsforum so you probably don't know me. My name is Alexis, i am a guy, i just turned 16.
I love physics, especially Astro-physics.
I am still doing my IGCSE's, and I want to make sure I choose the right subjects for my A-Levels.
I chose: Physics, Pure Mathematics, English Literature, Computing, french. i might not take french and take statistics. i am not sure.

Now, I love astronomy and am always reading this forum, always getting updated with MIT opencourseware, always reading NASA website and check Astronomy-Picture of the day.

I really want to have all this in my career in the future, but i am not sure what kind of job i am aiming for. Theoretical Physisist sounds good but I really don't know that much about it.

The things I like: Astronomy, Physics, Computing, Mathematics.
I know as languages greek, german, english, french.

What could I do when I am older?
and to achieve this, what courses should I take, what Uni should I go to?

(ofc my favourite Uni's are MIT, Caltech).

I am very new to this, so pardon my language, I hope to achieve a Ph.D and get a nice job that I can enjoy throughout my life, what should I aim for.
Your advice will greatly Help me, so Thank You in advance!

if you want to contact me. I will check this post again tomorrow. Thank You very much.
And Hello PhysicsForum! :!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh and also I will post this again in Path choosing post. hope you don't mind.

1. What type of careers are available in my field of study?

The type of careers available in your field of study will depend on your specific area of expertise. Some common career paths for scientists include research and development, teaching, consulting, and working in industry or government agencies.

2. How can I find career opportunities in my field?

There are several ways to find career opportunities in your field. You can search online job boards, attend career fairs and networking events, reach out to your professional network, and utilize the resources available through your university or scientific organization.

3. What skills and qualifications do I need for a successful career in science?

In addition to having a strong foundation in your chosen field of science, successful careers in science also require skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, communication, and teamwork. Employers may also look for specific qualifications or certifications depending on the job.

4. How important is gaining hands-on experience in the field?

Gaining hands-on experience in the field is crucial for a successful career in science. It allows you to apply the knowledge and skills you have learned in a practical setting, gain new skills, and make valuable connections. Many employers also look for candidates with relevant experience when hiring.

5. What resources are available for career guidance in the scientific community?

There are many resources available for career guidance in the scientific community. These include career counseling services, mentorship programs, professional development workshops, and online resources such as job boards and career blogs. Your university or scientific organization may also offer career guidance and support services.