Integration of Parametric Functions

In summary, the Leibniz integral rule is a theorem that states that the derivative of an integral with respect to a variable that is also the upper limit of integration, can be expressed as the integrand evaluated at the upper limit multiplied by the derivative of the upper limit, minus the integrand evaluated at the lower limit multiplied by the derivative of the lower limit, plus the integral of the partial derivative of the integrand with respect to the variable. This rule can also be applied to composite functions, where the variable of integration is a function of another variable.
darkchild
Is there an analog or a more general form of the rule
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_{a}^{t} F(t) dt = F(x) [/tex]

that covers the case of F(t) being a composite function?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not exactly sure of what you have in mind. If F(x)=G(H(x)) for example, the theorem still applies.

Well, for example, I have [tex]g(x) = \int_{0}^{x^{2}} e^{-t^{2}} dt[/tex], and [tex]g'(x)[/tex] does not equal [tex]e^{-x^{4}}[/tex]. There's a factor missing; I can't just plug x (or x squared) into the integrand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule]Leibniz rule

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}f(x,t)dx=\int_{a(t)}^{b(t)}
\partial_tf(x,t)dx+f(x,t)\partial_tx|_{x=a(t)}^{x=b(t)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an error in my original post. The upper limit of integration should be x.

lurflurf said:

I don't see how that will help since the integrand is a function of t only and the integration is with respect to t.

I think what you want is "Leibniz's formula":

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(x,t)dt= f(x, \beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}- f(x, \alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
I think what you want is "Leibniz's formula":

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} f(x,t)dt= f(x, \beta(x))\frac{d\beta}{dx}- f(x, \alpha(x))\frac{d\alpha}{dx}+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

darkchild said:
Thanks! Exactly what I needed.

That's exactly what lurflurf gave you. The integration variable is called a 'dummy variable' so:

[tex]
\int_a^{g(t)} f(x)dx
[/tex]

is the same function as

[tex]
\int_a^{g(x)} f(t) dt
[/tex]

Last edited:
lurflurf said:

darkchild said:
I don't see how that will help since the integrand is a function of t only and the integration is with respect to t.
No, the integration is with respect to x.

The only difference between what lurflurf posted and what I posted is that the "t" and "x" are switched.

1. What is the definition of integration of parametric functions?

The integration of parametric functions involves finding the area under a parametric curve by using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

2. How do you determine the bounds for parametric integration?

The bounds for parametric integration are determined by the values of the independent variable used in the parametric equations. These values can be found by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for the variable.

3. What are some common techniques used for integrating parametric functions?

Some common techniques for integrating parametric functions include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities.

4. Can parametric functions be integrated using numerical methods?

Yes, parametric functions can be integrated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods involve approximating the area under the curve by dividing it into smaller sections and using the values of the function at each point to calculate the area.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating parametric functions?

Parametric integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities such as work, volume, and profit. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.