Testing the field strength of a permanent bar magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses a practical experiment involving a solenoid and a beam to calculate the magnetic field strength. The question arises whether this same set-up can be used to find the field strength of a small permanent bar magnet. The relevant equation and limitations are mentioned, and the possibility of interference between the magnetic field lines is considered. The poster also asks for help with this question.
AUS_Chris
Hi,
I've just completed a prac, where a beam was placed into a solenoid with a current flowing through it, causing a force to exerted down and I balanced out the force by placing weights on the other end in the effort of calculating the magnetic field strength. Anyway, one of the short answer questions given states:
"Could this apparatus be used to find the field strength of a small permanent bar magnet? Discuss the process and describe the limitations."

The relevant equation used to calculate the magnetic field strength was: B = mg/IL. However, this problems is largely theory based.

I assume that if a permanent bar magnet was placed within a solenoid which had current flowing through it, that the magnetic field lines would interfere with another and cause the direction of the force caused by the magnetic field on the perpendicular section of the magnet to the field lines (according to the Right Hand Slap Rule) to not act directly downwards so that I could counteract it by placing weights on the other end of the magnet, but I'm clearly finding difficulty.

Thanks for reading, and I would greatly appreciate help. (NOTE: I apologize if this in the wrong section of the forum, this is my first post)

Physics news on Phys.org
AUS_Chris said:
Hi,
I've just completed a prac, where a beam was placed into a solenoid with a current flowing through it, causing a force to exerted down and I balanced out the force by placing weights on the other end in the effort of calculating the magnetic field strength. Anyway, one of the short answer questions given states:
"Could this apparatus be used to find the field strength of a small permanent bar magnet? Discuss the process and describe the limitations."

The relevant equation used to calculate the magnetic field strength was: B = mg/IL. However, this problems is largely theory based.

I assume that if a permanent bar magnet was placed within a solenoid which had current flowing through it, that the magnetic field lines would interfere with another and cause the direction of the force caused by the magnetic field on the perpendicular section of the magnet to the field lines (according to the Right Hand Slap Rule) to not act directly downwards so that I could counteract it by placing weights on the other end of the magnet, but I'm clearly finding difficulty.

Thanks for reading, and I would greatly appreciate help. (NOTE: I apologize if this in the wrong section of the forum, this is my first post)

I think the suggestion was "can you use a similar set-up using a small permanent magnet instead of the solenoid with a fixed current"

1. How do you measure the field strength of a permanent bar magnet?

To measure the field strength of a permanent bar magnet, you will need a Gaussmeter, which is a specialized instrument used to measure magnetic fields. Place the Gaussmeter close to the magnet and record the reading in units of Gauss or Tesla.

2. Can the field strength of a permanent bar magnet change over time?

Yes, the field strength of a permanent bar magnet can change over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, if the magnet is kept in a stable environment, the field strength will remain relatively constant.

3. What factors can affect the field strength of a permanent bar magnet?

The field strength of a permanent bar magnet can be affected by factors such as its size, shape, and composition, as well as external magnetic fields and temperature changes. These factors can impact the alignment and strength of the magnet's magnetic domains, which determine its overall field strength.

4. How does the distance from the magnet affect the field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases as you move further away from the source. This means that the field strength of a permanent bar magnet will be stronger closer to the magnet and weaker further away. The exact relationship between distance and field strength can be described by the inverse square law.

5. Can a permanent bar magnet have a stronger field on one side than the other?

Yes, it is possible for a permanent bar magnet to have a stronger field on one side than the other. This is due to imperfections in the magnet's production process, which can result in uneven distribution of its magnetic domains. However, the overall field strength of the magnet will remain relatively constant.