Where can I find a full proof of green theorem?

In summary, there are several books available that prove the generalized Stokes theorem, including "differential forms" by Weintraub, "calculus on manifolds" by Spivak, "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin, and "Analysis on manifolds" by Munkres. However, some argue that Rudin's proof is too ungeometric and lacks sufficient background. It is recommended to try and prove the theorem yourself.
Nanas
Please , can anyone recommend me to a reference containing Full proof of Green theorem.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem that you actually want is the generalized Stokes theorem. Greens theorem is a simple corollary from that.

There are several books out there that prove the generalized Stokes theorem. My favorite is "differential forms" by Weintraub.

Other books are
- "calculus on manifolds" by Spivak
- "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin
- "Analysis on manifolds" by Munkres

There are probably lots more of books out there that deal with Stokes theorem, but I don't know them...

Thank you.

Micromass: I don't mean to diss you, but I think Rudin's proof is way too
ungeometric, in case Nanas wants a somewhat-geometric argument, i.e.
Rudin axiomatizes diff. forms, and does not give much of what I would
consider enough background. But that comes down to a matter of taste.

Most books in advanced calculus should have a proof

Bacle said:
Micromass: I don't mean to diss you, but I think Rudin's proof is way too
ungeometric, in case Nanas wants a somewhat-geometric argument, i.e.
Rudin axiomatizes diff. forms, and does not give much of what I would
consider enough background. But that comes down to a matter of taste.

Most books in advanced calculus should have a proof

I completely agree! Rudin's proof is horrible. I just included it because it has a proof of it, and because some people do tend to like Rudin. Don't know why though...

Nanas said:
Please , can anyone recommend me to a reference containing Full proof of Green theorem.

Thank you.

Green's theorem generalizes the fundamental theorem of calculus and if you give it a shot you will be able to prove it yourself. try it.

1. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to the double integral of the curl of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. Why is Green's theorem important?

Green's theorem is important because it is used to solve a variety of problems in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force and finding the area of a region bounded by a curve.

3. How do I prove Green's theorem?

To prove Green's theorem, you need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus and apply it to both the line integral and the double integral in the theorem. This will allow you to show that they are equal and thus prove the theorem.

4. Where can I find a full proof of Green's theorem?

You can find a full proof of Green's theorem in many calculus textbooks or online resources. Some reputable sources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.

5. Can Green's theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Green's theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of the generalization of curl, known as the exterior derivative. This leads to a more general theorem known as Stokes' theorem.