What is the Best Book for Learning Mathematics in Computer Science?

In summary, the person is starting a computer science degree course and needs to prepare mathematically. They are looking for a book on general mathematics or mathematics related to computer science. One book they have found is "Schaum's Outline of Essential Computer Mathematics" and they are looking for a second book. A recommendation is "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth H. Rosen, before moving on to more advanced books like "Concrete Mathematics".
Monster92
ok, so I'm about to start a computer science degree course. One of the entry requirements for mathematics is a C or above at GCSE. Now, I want to prepare myself mathematically for this course. I haven't done maths in a long while. The link below shows the general content of the course. I want to find a book introducing mathematics in general or/and mathematics relating to computer science.

http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/exist/studentprogrammestructure.xql?code=G400

Now, I have found one book I have brought 'Schaum's Outline of Essential Computer Mathematics'

A second book would be grand! Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Concrete Mathematics is an excellent book written by the same professor who wrote The Art of Computer Programming - an algorithm bible. Nevertheless, I wouldn't suggest you Concrete Mathematics at this point of time, on the other hand, I would recommend you to take a look at this one - Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth H. Rosen, if you feel comfortable with that then you can move on to some pretty advanced books like Concrete Math. Good luck!

What is the process for requesting a mathematics book?

The process for requesting a mathematics book may vary depending on your institution or library. However, in general, you can usually request a mathematics book by filling out a request form, either online or in person, and providing details such as the book title, author, and publication information. Some institutions may also require a library card or ID to complete the request.

How long does it take to receive a requested mathematics book?

The time it takes to receive a requested mathematics book also varies depending on your institution or library. In some cases, you may be able to receive the book immediately if it is available on-site. Otherwise, it may take a few days to a few weeks for the book to be delivered to your institution or for you to pick it up.

Can I request a specific edition of a mathematics book?

Yes, you can usually request a specific edition of a mathematics book. When filling out the request form, make sure to specify the edition you need. However, keep in mind that some institutions may only have certain editions available, so your request may not always be fulfilled.

Is there a limit to the number of mathematics books I can request at one time?

There may be a limit to the number of mathematics books you can request at one time. This limit may vary depending on your institution or library's policies. It is best to check with your institution or library beforehand to determine the limit, if any.

Can I request a mathematics book that is currently checked out by someone else?

Yes, you can usually request a mathematics book that is currently checked out by someone else. When filling out the request form, make sure to indicate that you would like to be put on the waiting list for the book. Once the book is returned, you will be notified and it will be held for you to pick up.