Neptune has a core made up of what

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Core
In summary, the core of Neptune is primarily composed of rock and metal with a small amount of ice and gas. It is estimated to be the size of Earth and is believed to be a mixture of solid and liquid materials. Compared to other gas giant planets, it is relatively small but still much larger than Earth's core. The core cannot be seen from Earth due to its location deep within the planet's atmosphere.
Neptune has a core made up of _______

Physics news on Phys.org
Molten Rock?

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Molten Rock?

More specific

You mean I actually guessed close?

Cool !

I think I'll have to be satisfied with nearly getting it right (Unless google searches aren't considered cheating, that is).

water ice
and rock

Molten nickel, iron, sulphur bounded by the less dense molten silicates (rock).

Originally posted by GENIERE
molten silicates (rock).
[/B]

Thats what I'm looking for!

1. What is the core of Neptune made up of?

The core of Neptune is primarily composed of rock and metal, with a small amount of ice and gas.

2. How big is the core of Neptune?

The core of Neptune is estimated to be about the size of Earth, with a diameter of approximately 15,000 miles.

3. Is the core of Neptune solid or liquid?

The core of Neptune is believed to be a mixture of both solid and liquid materials, with the outer layers being liquid and the inner layers being solid due to the intense pressures at the planet's center.

4. How does the core of Neptune compare to other gas giant planets?

The core of Neptune is relatively small compared to the cores of other gas giant planets, such as Jupiter and Saturn. However, it is still much larger than the Earth's core.

5. Can we see the core of Neptune from Earth?

No, the core of Neptune cannot be seen from Earth as it is located deep within the planet's thick atmosphere. Only the outer layers of the planet are visible from Earth.