Observer 1 & 2 View Force on Subject A: Analysis & Resolution

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pseudo forces and their introduction in classical physics to explain the behavior of objects in accelerated frames. The introduction of a pseudo force is needed in cases where the observer experiences no inertial effects that would require the presence of an inertial force, such as in the case of gravity. In this scenario, the free-falling frame is equivalent to an inertial frame and no pseudo force is necessary. However, in cases where an observer experiences inertial effects due to other forces, such as in the case of electrical forces, a pseudo force must be introduced to explain the observed motion. This difference in the modeling of gravity as a real force in classical physics and as a pseudo force in General Relativity is
DaleSpam said:
In a free-falling NIRF (in a uniform gravitational field) a free-falling object has a=0. Therefore, by Newton's 2nd law the net force on the object must be 0.
In other words, we are assuming that the NIRF is an IRF and we are trying to make Newton's 2nd law work.

In Newtonian mechanics it is acted on only by a real gravitational force of -mg.
This is where I see a problem. I don't see how you can detect that gravitational force except by reference to a genuine IRF. There is no way to detect it by reference only to the NIRF. In the free-falling NIRF a uniform gravitational field is undetectable.

If it is undetectable I am having difficulty understanding why you need a pseudo force to counter-act it or explain it. Otherwise, what you are saying is perfectly reasonable and rather obvious.

AM

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew Mason said:
In other words, we are assuming that the NIRF is an IRF and we are trying to make Newton's 2nd law work.
I told you that in post #18
Andrew Mason said:
In the free-falling NIRF a uniform gravitational field is undetectable.
Gravity is still a real force that exits in every frame. That is a nice simple law, easy to remember. You don't have to worry about detectability.
Andrew Mason said:
If it is undetectable I am having difficulty understanding why you need a pseudo force to counter-act it or explain it.
Every accelerated frame has an inertial force -ma. That is a nice simple law, easy to remember. You don't have to worry about what real forces act.

If all legal laws were so simple without special cases, then lawyers would be superfluous.

Andrew Mason said:
What we are trying to do is to correctly describe physics in the NIRF. This requires modifications to the equations from what you would have if the frame were inertial. Those modifications are the pseudo forces.

Andrew Mason said:
This is where I see a problem. I don't see how you can detect that gravitational force except by reference to a genuine IRF. There is no way to detect it by reference only to the NIRF. In the free-falling NIRF a uniform gravitational field is undetectable.

If it is undetectable I am having difficulty understanding why you need a pseudo force to counter-act it or explain it. Otherwise, what you are saying is perfectly reasonable and rather obvious.
I understand the distinction you are making. It isn't really a distinction between an IRF and a NIRF, but rather a distinction between the Newtonian and relativistic definition of "inertial". My comments above were in the context of the Newtonian definition of "inertial", but personally I agree with you in my preference for the relativistic definition.

Andrew Mason said:

We are simply using Newton's 2nd law.

Andrew Mason said:
I don't see how you can detect that gravitational force

You only have to detect the bodies including their mass. Than the gravitational forces are given by Newton's Law of gravitation.

Andrew Mason said:
except by reference to a genuine IRF.

Of course this works too. Just choose a frame of reference where all forces cancel each other out. All remaining forces are also present in every other frame of reference.

I think the problem is whether or not to "forget" that the NIRF is accelerating by a certain amount(g for free-fall) if you do not forget, then gravity is what keeps you in the frame, but I think as described in Newtonian physics, you do forget, so an anti-gravity is required to counteract the known gravity, also with the acceleration of the frame forgotten, a force is required to move the Earth up to meet me.

The question It seems is why can't I just remember I am using an accelerated frame K relative to an inertial frame k and add the requirement that to appear at rest in this frame there must be a real force giving acceleration equal to the acceleration of K?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the Observer 1 & 2 View Force on Subject A experiment?</h2><p>The purpose of this experiment is to analyze and resolve the forces acting on Subject A when observed by two different observers, Observer 1 and Observer 2. This can help scientists better understand how multiple perspectives can affect our understanding of a subject's behavior or movement.</p><h2>2. How is the force on Subject A measured in this experiment?</h2><p>The force on Subject A is measured using a force sensor or a dynamometer. This device can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to Subject A by each observer.</p><h2>3. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?</h2><p>Some potential sources of error in this experiment include human error in reading the force measurements, variations in the force applied by each observer, and environmental factors such as air resistance or friction.</p><h2>4. How can the data from this experiment be used?</h2><p>The data from this experiment can be used to analyze the differences in force applied by each observer and how it affects Subject A. It can also be used to understand the role of perspective in scientific observations and the importance of considering multiple viewpoints.</p><h2>5. Are there any ethical concerns with this experiment?</h2><p>There are no ethical concerns with this experiment as it involves the observation of a non-human subject and does not cause harm or discomfort to the subject. However, proper care should be taken to ensure the well-being of the subject and accurate measurements should be taken to prevent any potential harm.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the Observer 1 & 2 View Force on Subject A experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to analyze and resolve the forces acting on Subject A when observed by two different observers, Observer 1 and Observer 2. This can help scientists better understand how multiple perspectives can affect our understanding of a subject's behavior or movement.

2. How is the force on Subject A measured in this experiment?

The force on Subject A is measured using a force sensor or a dynamometer. This device can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to Subject A by each observer.

3. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include human error in reading the force measurements, variations in the force applied by each observer, and environmental factors such as air resistance or friction.

4. How can the data from this experiment be used?

The data from this experiment can be used to analyze the differences in force applied by each observer and how it affects Subject A. It can also be used to understand the role of perspective in scientific observations and the importance of considering multiple viewpoints.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with this experiment?

There are no ethical concerns with this experiment as it involves the observation of a non-human subject and does not cause harm or discomfort to the subject. However, proper care should be taken to ensure the well-being of the subject and accurate measurements should be taken to prevent any potential harm.