Help in designing water turbine for given wattage

In summary: The turbine will be at 63 degrees so that the water flow is slowed. This will increase the efficiency of the pump. In summary, an archimedes screw turbine can be used to power a pump that is rated at 80 watts. The turbine will be at a height of 1 meter and will require 9.81 watts to lift 1 liter of water per second up. The efficiency of the system is 84%.
mink_man
We need to design an archimedes screw turbines to power a pump of 80 watts.

Any tips to design this?

I have tried a way, but I think it's very wrong.

Thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's consider pumping 1 liter (1 kg) per second up h=1 meter. mgh = 9.81 kg-m2/sec2=9.81 Newton-meters = 9.81 joules.

So 1 liter per second up 1 meter is 9.81 watts.

Bob S said:
Let's consider pumping 1 liter (1 kg) per second up h=1 meter. mgh = 9.81 kg-m2/sec2=9.81 Newton-meters = 9.81 joules.

So 1 liter per second up 1 meter is 9.81 watts.

So you're saying, 9.81Sin(63) would give the energy gotten from water being flowing down a tube at 63 degrees? Or is that wrong?

All I am saying is that, at 100% efficiency, 9.81 watts is needed to lift 1 liter of water per second up vertically 1 meter. Or 98.1 watts to lift 1 liter/sec up 10 meters. Now. you must describe in detail your engineering model.

Bob S said:
All I am saying is that, at 100% efficiency, 9.81 watts is needed to lift 1 liter of water per second up vertically 1 meter. Or 98.1 watts to lift 1 liter/sec up 10 meters. Now. you must describe in detail your engineering model.

The task is to design an archimedes screw turbine to power an 80 watt pump.

I can assume flow rates, head, etc.

The turbine will be at 63 degrees, so I need to find out the size of the turbine.

No, you don't need to find the size of the turbine yet. First you need to find the height and flow rate of the water supply. The size of the turbine is a function of the flow rate, but the wattage is a function of the height and flow rate. So the higher the drop, the smaller the turbine can be.

russ_watters said:
No, you don't need to find the size of the turbine yet. First you need to find the height and flow rate of the water supply. The size of the turbine is a function of the flow rate, but the wattage is a function of the height and flow rate. So the higher the drop, the smaller the turbine can be.

Ok, I can assume and make up heads, so assuming a head of 2m.

What's next?

I can assume flow rates too if need be.

I found this formula

"Power = Head X Flow X 7"

So I can fill in the head to get a flow rate?

Or this? This is the one I used at first but I got a veeeeery small area, for a 20m3/hr flow rate and 1.75 head difference.

Would this be correct?

Ph = q ρ g h / (3.6 106) (1)

where

Ph = power (kW)

q = flow capacity (m3/h)

ρ = density of fluid (kg/m3)

g = gravity (9.81 m/s2)

h = differential head (m)

You need to understand the equations you are using. For example, 20 m3 is 20,000 liters. That is a big number. Using the formula I derived in post #2, pumping 1 liter/sec up 2 meters would require 2 x 9.81 ≈ 20 watts. What is the efficiency of your pumping system? Why don't you discuss its design? What is the "bucket" size and pitch on your Archimedes screw? What is its rpm? what is the gearing on your motor?

Bob S said:
You need to understand the equations you are using. For example, 20 m3 is 20,000 liters. That is a big number. Using the formula I derived in post #2, pumping 1 liter/sec up 2 meters would require 2 x 9.81 ≈ 20 watts. What is the efficiency of your pumping system? Why don't you discuss its design? What is the "bucket" size and pitch on your Archimedes screw? What is its rpm? what is the gearing on your motor?

sorry, the q is in m3/hr, so it would be .0055 l^3 / second.

The aim is to design the screw, work out the forces and design the thickness of the shaft etc.

Maybe this is the wrong forum.

The efficiency of an archimedes screw is 84%.

The main aim is to design a system that aerates a septic tank.

usually the pumps are 80 watts, so we've decided to power the pump by using hydro power.

1. How do I determine the wattage needed for my water turbine?

The wattage needed for a water turbine is determined by the amount of power required to meet your specific needs. This can be calculated by considering the flow rate, head (vertical distance the water falls), and efficiency of the turbine. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with this calculation.

2. What materials are best for constructing a water turbine for a given wattage?

The materials used for constructing a water turbine will depend on the specific design and wattage needed. Generally, materials that are durable, corrosion-resistant, and can withstand high water pressures are preferred. Common materials used include stainless steel, aluminum, and reinforced plastics.

3. Can I use a water turbine to generate electricity for a small residential or commercial property?

Yes, water turbines can be used to generate electricity for both residential and commercial properties. However, the specific design and wattage of the turbine will depend on the available water source and energy needs of the property. It is important to consult with a professional or use online resources to determine the most suitable water turbine for your specific needs.

4. How do I ensure the efficiency of my water turbine for a given wattage?

The efficiency of a water turbine is determined by the design and quality of its components, as well as the operating conditions. To ensure maximum efficiency, it is important to properly size and design the turbine, use high-quality materials, and regularly maintain and monitor its performance.

5. Are there any environmental impacts to consider when designing a water turbine for a given wattage?

Yes, there are several environmental impacts to consider when designing a water turbine. These include potential impacts on aquatic life, water flow and quality, and natural habitats. It is important to carefully assess and mitigate these impacts through proper design and installation techniques to ensure minimal harm to the environment.