Need help becoming a better technical reader in physics?

• Thread starter dgales4130
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is struggling with comprehending technical language and concepts in their physics class. They enjoy learning through conversations, but they are not able to connect the two. They are looking for a way to improve their technical reading skills, possibly through a summer research project. However, they acknowledge that this may not be a simple task and are open to any advice to improve their comprehension.
dgales4130
Hello ,

I am in love with the love with the idea with physics , mostly on Earth but I have always not been the most avid reader. Actually, my level of comprehension has always been not a level that is complete enough to be the student that I am able to be.

I really like learning the technical language , that being talking in person, but I can never really connect the two. There are never really conversations that are strike up in my 4 hour class - even when the teacher probes the class.

I want to become a better technical reader but I am not ask to write technical things in my physics class , just do calculations.

Is there a book or some method that would encourage me to become a better reader in terms of physics ?

I ask to do a summer research project and he's game but this seems like a short term solution , that is within a confined context.

Maybe I am just not focused enough , but one way or another I want to understand the ideas that I am reading. I would like to have a couple of way to boost up my comprehension while I read but am willing and aware that it may not be completely that simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I look forward to any advice that can be offered. Thank you.

1. How can I improve my reading speed?

Improving your reading speed takes practice and dedication. One way to do this is by setting a timer and challenging yourself to read a certain amount of pages within a specific time frame. You can also try using a pointer or your finger to guide your eyes along the text, which can help increase your reading speed.

2. What are some strategies for better comprehension while reading?

There are a few strategies you can use to improve your comprehension while reading. One is to take notes while you read, summarizing the main points or writing down any questions that come to mind. You can also try visualizing the text or making connections to your own experiences to help understand the material better.

3. How can I expand my vocabulary while reading?

One way to expand your vocabulary while reading is to keep a list of new words you come across and their definitions. You can also try using context clues to figure out the meaning of unfamiliar words or looking them up in a dictionary. Reading a variety of genres and materials can also expose you to new vocabulary.

4. What are some tips for staying focused while reading?

To stay focused while reading, try finding a quiet and comfortable place to read without distractions. You can also break up your reading into smaller chunks with short breaks in between. Additionally, engaging with the material by asking questions or making connections can help keep your mind from wandering.

5. Is it important to read actively?

Yes, reading actively is crucial for becoming a better reader. This means actively engaging with the material, asking questions, making connections, and taking notes. By actively reading, you are more likely to understand and retain the information, and it can also help improve your critical thinking skills.