Charpy impact testing angle measurement suggestions

In summary, there is a need for an accurate and affordable method to measure the angle of the pendulum in a Charpy impact testing machine. Friction against the pendulum is a concern, making it important to find a method that does not overcomplicate the final calculations. One potential solution is to use a pressure gauge with two needles, where one follows the pressure and the other stays in place after the pressure drops. This mechanism could potentially be adapted for use in the Charpy machine. Another idea is to use a pointer attached to the pendulum rod, but this may create additional complications in accurately measuring the angle.
Coleslawnicks
I am designing my own Charpy impact testing machine and I am unsure what would be the best as well as relatively simple and affordable method I can use to accurately measure the angle the pendulum travels after it has broke the sample. I would also appreciate any complex and more expensive ideas too that I can consider, accuracy and reliability are the most important things.

I have thought of some methods but a lot of them will cause friction against the pendulum which could overcomplicate the final calculations.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are pressure gages that have needles that float freely on the same axis the pressure indicating needle such as the one shown here:
http://www.globalw.com/products/pg150.html

The black needle is the 'normal' one that follows the pressure. The red needle is pushed higher by the black one but doesn't track it when the black needle falls back down, so the red needle is left in position where the black needle max'ed out.

Something similar to that should work for you.

Thanks you Q_Goest, Do you know of any instruments that are like this gage but I could use for the Charpy? Also do you know how the mechanism in this gage works?

I have thought of the idea that the pendulum rod would extrude past the pivot and this extruded part would push a pointer (much like the gage). My only concern is that to get an accurate reading the pointer would need to stop simultaneously with the pendulum rod. To do this I would need to tighten the pointer fitting but in turn this would create a reasonable force that the pendulum would have to overcome which could be quite hard to compensate for in the final impact calculations.

1. What is Charpy impact testing?

Charpy impact testing is a method used to determine the amount of energy that a material can absorb before fracturing. It involves striking a notched specimen with a pendulum and measuring the energy absorbed by the material.

2. Why is angle measurement important in Charpy impact testing?

The angle of the pendulum strike can greatly affect the results of Charpy impact testing. A proper angle measurement ensures consistent and accurate results, as it affects the amount of energy transferred to the specimen.

3. How is angle measurement performed in Charpy impact testing?

The angle of the pendulum strike is typically measured using a protractor or angle gauge. The pendulum is released from a specific height, which is also measured, and the angle is then recorded. This process is repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the recommended angle for Charpy impact testing?

The standard angle for Charpy impact testing is 90 degrees. However, depending on the material being tested, different angles may be recommended. It is important to consult industry standards and guidelines for the appropriate angle for a specific material.

5. Can the angle measurement affect the results of Charpy impact testing?

Yes, the angle of the pendulum strike can greatly affect the results of Charpy impact testing. A slight variation in angle can result in significant differences in the energy absorbed by the material. This is why precise and consistent angle measurement is crucial for accurate testing.