Aliprantis/burkinshaw analysis textbook

In summary: It is a good book to learn analysis from. Some people (micromass) hate the blue book for being too terse, and not giving intuition.
battousai
does anyone have any experience of using this book? How does this compare to standard analysis textbooks ie. Baby Rudin, Apostol, Bartle/Sherbert etc.?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah that one. So it's at the level of big Rudin?

basically I'm looking for a textbook to learn analysis from at the level of baby Rudin. But some people (micromass) hates the blue book for being too terse , and not giving intuition. I have the book, but I'm also looking for other options.

battousai said:
yeah that one. So it's at the level of big Rudin?

basically I'm looking for a textbook to learn analysis from at the level of baby Rudin. But some people (micromass) hates the blue book for being too terse , and not giving intuition. I have the book, but I'm also looking for other options.

I don't exactly hate baby Rudin because it is too terse. I hate it because it gives no intuition, there is a difference. Rudin likes to make things difficult (in my opinion) and it's not helpful to people new to analysis.

That said, I like Aliprantis quite a lot. It is more oriented towards functional analysis than other textbooks. But it is NOT a book suitable for beginners in analysis.

So, what is your experience in mathematics/analysis?? Did you ever complete a book at the level of Spivak's calculus??

Another book which is very interesting is Carothers. I think that book would be suitable for somebody who completed Spivak's calculus. Aliprantis might be too difficult.

Another nice book (which happens to be mathwonk's favorite) are the books by Berberian. However, I find it's introduction to analysis somewhat too easy. The other books are nice though.

I suggest you go to some sort of library and check out several analysis books. Read the first chapter and make some exercises. Then you can pick whichever you like best.

we did proofs in my multivariable calculus class, using williamson/trotter textbook. just finished with upper division linear algebra using friedberg/insel/spence. writing proofs isn't too much of a problem for me.

is this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521497566/?tag=pfamazon01-20

the book you're talking about? if so, what is good about this?

Yes, that's the book.

Is it a good book to learn analysis from? Or more of a reference (like some of the amazon reviews suggest)?

1. What is the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook about?

The "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook is a comprehensive guide to mathematical analysis, covering topics such as measure theory, integration, and functional analysis. It is widely used in graduate-level mathematics courses and is known for its rigorous and detailed approach to the subject.

2. Who are the authors of the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook?

The authors of the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook are Charalambos D. Aliprantis and Owen Burkinshaw. Both authors are renowned mathematicians and have made significant contributions to the field of mathematical analysis.

3. Is the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook suitable for self-study?

While the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook is primarily used as a textbook in graduate-level courses, it can also be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in areas such as real analysis and linear algebra, before attempting to study from this textbook.

4. Are there any supplements or additional resources available for the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook?

Yes, there are various supplements and additional resources available for the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook, such as solution manuals, lecture notes, and online resources. These can be useful for further practice and understanding of the material covered in the textbook.

5. Is the "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook suitable for students in fields other than mathematics?

The "Aliprantis/Burkinshaw Analysis" textbook is primarily aimed at students in mathematics, particularly those studying mathematical analysis. However, it can also be useful for students in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering, where a strong understanding of mathematical analysis is necessary.