Gravity & Inertia: Proportional to Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, inertia, and gravitational force. The question is raised about how gravitational force can be proportional to mass when it goes against the definition of force and inertia. The speaker is then reminded that this logic is flawed and that other forces should also be considered. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of understanding and gratitude.
deechan
If force is something that changes the state of a body and inertia is opposition to change of state how can gravitational force be proportional to mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
deechan said:
If force is something that changes the state of a body and inertia is opposition to change of state how can gravitational force be proportional to mass?

Why can't it?

There's a fault in your logic here. It's as if you're asking "If having money is considered as wealth, then when I go in debt, why do they measure my debt in {insert currency here}?"

Furthermore, why restrict this to just gravitational force? Are you saying that you understand why F=ma is OK for other types of forces?

Zz.

Oh!I didn't think of other forces at all.I think I get it now.Thank you.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for the formation of stars and galaxies.

2. How does mass affect gravity?

The strength of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. What is inertia?

Inertia is a property of matter that describes an object's resistance to change in motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass, meaning that the more massive an object is, the more inertia it has.

4. How are gravity and inertia related?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is due to the combination of gravity and inertia - gravity pulls objects towards each other, while inertia keeps them in motion.

5. How do gravity and inertia impact the behavior of objects in space?

In space, where there is no air resistance, objects will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by a force. This is because the effects of gravity and inertia dominate in the absence of other forces. This is why objects in orbit around a planet or star will continue to orbit in a stable path.