Finding a function given its partial derivatives, stuck on finding g'(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the original function, f(x,y), using partial derivatives and integration. The process involves setting up the equation df = (∂f/∂x)dx + (∂f/∂y)dy and solving for f(x,y) using integration and a constant term. The conversation also mentions a first order differential equation that is used to find a function g(y), which is then integrated to find the final solution for f(x,y).
mitch_1211
Hi all,

I have the following partial derivatives

∂f/∂x = cos(x)sin(x)-xy2

∂f/∂y = y - yx2

I need to find the original function, f(x,y).

I know that df = (∂f/∂x)dx + (∂f/∂y)dy

and hence

f(x,y) = ∫∂f/∂x dx + g(y) = -1/2(x2y2+cos2(x)) + g(y)

Then to find g(y) I took the partial derivative of f(x,y) that I just found wrt y and equate to the original given ∂f/∂y

i.e -x2y +g'(y) = y-x2
which is a first order differential equation of the form

dg/dy = - (y+x2)/(x2y)

and now I am not sure how to proceed and solve this DE

Mitch

Physics news on Phys.org
mitch_1211 said:
Hi all,

I have the following partial derivatives

∂f/∂x = cos(x)sin(x)-xy2

∂f/∂y = y - yx2

I need to find the original function, f(x,y).

I know that df = (∂f/∂x)dx + (∂f/∂y)dy

and hence

f(x,y) = ∫∂f/∂x dx + g(y) = -1/2(x2y2+cos2(x)) + g(y)

Then to find g(y) I took the partial derivative of f(x,y) that I just found wrt y and equate to the original given ∂f/∂y

i.e -x2y +g'(y) = y-x2
which is a first order differential equation of the form

That's a typo, no? It should be

[tex]-x^2y+g^\prime(y)=y-yx^2[/tex]

oh you're right, I must have typed it out incorrectly from my notes.

so it becomes

dg/dy = y

∴ ∫dg = ∫y dy

so g = y2/2

does that sound about right?

mitch_1211 said:
so g = y2/2
does that sound about right?
Well, it satisfies the original equations, right? But don't forget to allow a constant term.

ell,

Your approach to finding the original function f(x,y) is correct. To solve for g'(x), you can integrate both sides of the differential equation you have derived. This will give you g(y) up to a constant of integration. You can then use the initial condition g(0) = 0 (assuming y = 0 is a point on the curve) to solve for the constant and find the exact function for g(y). Once you have g(y), you can substitute it back into your equation for f(x,y) to get the complete function. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of finding a function given its partial derivatives?

Finding a function given its partial derivatives allows us to determine the original function that we started with. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics and economics, where we may only have access to the partial derivatives of a function but need to know the full function in order to make predictions or solve problems.

2. Why is finding g'(x) important?

Finding g'(x), or the derivative of a function, is important because it allows us to determine the rate of change of the function at a specific point. This information is useful in understanding the behavior and properties of the function, and can also be used to solve optimization problems.

3. What steps can I take when I am stuck on finding g'(x)?

If you are stuck on finding g'(x), it can be helpful to first review the definition of a derivative and the rules for finding derivatives. You can also try breaking the function down into simpler parts and finding the derivatives of each part separately. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or classmate can provide valuable insight and assistance.

4. Can I use software or calculators to find g'(x)?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can find the derivative of a function for you. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind finding a derivative, rather than just relying on technology. Also, make sure to double check the answer given by the software or calculator to ensure accuracy.

5. How does finding g'(x) relate to the concept of slope?

Finding g'(x) is essentially finding the slope of a function at a specific point. The derivative of a function represents the instantaneous rate of change, or the slope of the tangent line, at that point. This is similar to finding the slope of a line on a graph, where the derivative is the slope of the curve at a certain point on the graph.