Radon: A Real Threat or Just Hype?

• Thread starter EProph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radon
In summary, Radon is a potential health risk in certain areas of the country where there are natural deposits of uranium/thorium ores. While ventilation can help reduce levels, it is not considered a major threat for most people. It is still a serious issue for anyone buying a home in Pennsylvania and it is important to do research and consult resources such as the EPA for more information.
EProph
I remember seeing a lot about this back in the eighties. Then it sort of "went away", I hadn't heard much about it at all over the last 15 or so years. Then today, while watching TV, I saw a commercial for home Radon testing.

Just curious, is this a real, serious threat? Or just hype?

Thanks,
-EP

Physics news on Phys.org
Radon is a potential problem in certain areas of the country, like the Appalacian mountains, and parts of the mountain states, where there are natural deposits of uranium/thorium ores. The certain isotopes of U and Th decay, and one of the products is radon. Houses, particularly with basements, built over certain rock formations could have higher levels of radon. Ventillation of the basement with outside air is a remedy.

On the other hand, IIRC, the radiation levels are generally low enough that it is not considered a major health risk for most people.

I would suggest you search google with "Radon","health risk" and perhaps include your state or local region to see if there are any publications which address a concern. Also, try http://www.epa.gov/iaq/radon/zonemap.html.

It "went away" only in the sense that you don't read about it in the papers anymore. Its still a serious issue for anyone buying a home in Pennsylvania.

Adding to what Russ mentioned, the people around TMI get much more radiation exposure from the 'natural' radon in their homes than they do from the plant, including during the accident in 1979. However, most were concerned about the plant, not their homes. :rolleyes:

Astronuc said:
Adding to what Russ mentioned, the people around TMI get much more radiation exposure from the 'natural' radon in their homes than they do from the plant, including during the accident in 1979. However, most were concerned about the plant, not their homes. :rolleyes:

Thats because people, reporters and politicians are not scientists, and tend to be rather, well...there's no nice way to put it , so i won't even try.

1. What is radon and where does it come from?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium found in soil, rocks, and water. It can enter buildings through cracks and openings in the foundation.

2. How does radon exposure affect human health?

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. When inhaled, the radioactive particles from radon can damage the cells lining the lungs, increasing the risk of developing lung cancer.

3. Is radon a serious threat or is it just hype?

Radon is a real threat to human health. It is estimated that radon exposure causes around 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States alone. This makes it a serious public health issue that should not be taken lightly.

4. How can I test for radon in my home?

Radon testing kits are available for purchase at most hardware stores and online. These kits usually involve leaving a small device in your home for a few days to collect air samples, which are then sent to a lab for analysis. You can also hire a professional to conduct a more comprehensive radon test.

5. What can I do to reduce radon levels in my home?

If your home has high levels of radon, there are several ways to reduce its concentration. These include sealing cracks and openings in the foundation, improving ventilation, and installing a radon mitigation system. It is best to consult a professional for guidance on the most effective method for your specific situation.