Proof of Second Order ODE Theorem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a theorem about writing the general solution of a second order ODE in the form of a linear combination of two linearly independent solutions. The Wronskian, a tool used to show linear independence, is mentioned and it is noted that if the Wronskian is zero, it does not necessarily mean the functions are linearly dependent. Additional conditions are needed to determine linear dependence. The conversation also touches on a possible counter-example to the theorem and discusses the differentiability of the functions involved.
Zondrina said:
Well you said that it's not in the span of x3 and |x3| so that means there is no linear combination of them which will give me c*x.

I said that. I think you should prove it. Once you've done that, does that save your theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
I said that. I think you should prove it. Once you've done that, does that save your theorem?

So supposing I want to find some linear combination of x3 and |x3| which gives me cx, I want to satisfy this relation :

c1x3 + c2|x3| = cx.

The only way this is true is if all the constants c1, c2 and c are all zero?

Zondrina said:
So supposing I want to find some linear combination of x3 and |x3| which gives me cx, I want to satisfy this relation :

c1x3 + c2|x3| = cx.

The only way this is true is if all the constants c1, c2 and c are all zero?

True. How would you prove that instead of just saying it's true?

Dick said:
True. How would you prove that instead of just saying it's true?

Hmmm okay so. I realize that I can take any straight line here including 0, so I'll use 0 since it's easy.

We have y1 = x3 and y2 = |x3| which are L.I solutions to our equation.

y'2 = 3x2 if x ≥ 0
y'2 = -3x2 if x < 0

Hence their Wronskian is zero everywhere for all x in our interval, which should mean they are linearly dependent, but this is not the case.

Let a and b be constants such that :

ax3 + b|x3| = 0

Then :
a(1)3 + b|13| = a + b = 0
a(-1)3 + b(-(-1)3) = a - b = 0

So it must be the case that a = b = 0 and thus y1 and y2 must be linearly independent.

Zondrina said:
Hmmm okay so. I realize that I can take any straight line here including 0, so I'll use 0 since it's easy.

We have y1 = x3 and y2 = |x3| which are L.I solutions to our equation.

y'2 = 3x2 if x ≥ 0
y'2 = -3x2 if x < 0

Hence their Wronskian is zero everywhere for all x in our interval, which should mean they are linearly dependent, but this is not the case.

Let a and b be constants such that :

ax3 + b|x3| = 0

Then :
a(1)3 + b|13| = a + b = 0
a(-1)3 + b(-(-1)3) = a - b = 0

So it must be the case that a = b = 0 and thus y1 and y2 must be linearly independent.

That's not very good. You already showed x^3 and |x^3| are linearly independent and you just repeated it. Now show me x^3 and |x^3| and x are linearly independent.

Dick said:
That's not very good. You already showed x^3 and |x^3| are linearly independent and you just repeated it. Now show me x^3 and |x^3| and x are linearly independent.

Well first I note that their Wronskian is zero everywhere, which means they are linearly dependent, which is also not the case.

Following a similar proof style to before I form the equation :

ax3 + b|x3| + cx = 0

and show that a = b = c = 0 is the only possible solution.

Zondrina said:
Well first I note that their Wronskian is zero everywhere, which means they are linearly dependent, which is also not the case.

Following a similar proof style to before I form the equation :

ax3 + b|x3| + cx = 0

and show that a = b = c = 0 is the only possible solution.

The wronskian doesn't have much to do with it. If you put x=1, x=(-1) and x=2 that should give you enough ammunition to show a=b=c=0, right?

Dick said:
The wronskian doesn't have much to do with it. If you put x=1, x=(-1) and x=2 that should give you enough ammunition to show a=b=c=0, right?

Yes, I didn't write it before out of laziness, but here it is :

ax3 + b|x3| + cx = 0

Then :

If x = 1, a + b + c = 0
If x = -1, a - b + c = 0
If x = 2, 8a + 8b + 2c = 0 → 4a + 4b + c = 0

System of 3 eqs with a determinant which is non - zero. Thus a = b = c = 0.