Spin-1 particles' spin operator

In summary: S_{z}\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}=\omega\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}we havebeginning with the eigenvalue equation S_{z}\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}=\omega\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}we have[\hbar^{2}-\omega^{2})\omega=0
Gabriel Maia
The S[itex]_{z}[/itex] operator for a spin-1 particle is

S[itex]_{z}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{h}{2\pi}[/itex][1 0 0//0 0 0//0 0 -1]

I'm given the particle state

|[itex]\phi[/itex]>=[1 // i // -2]

What are the probabilities of getting each one of the possible results?

Now... we can say the possible measure results will be 1,0,-1 and the autovectors associated to each result is

v[itex]_{1}[/itex] = [1 // 0 // 0]

v[itex]_{0}[/itex] = [0 // 0 // 0]

v[itex]_{-1}[/itex] = [0 // 0 // -1]

I 've normalized the given state. It gives me

|[itex]\phi[/itex]>=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/itex][1 // i // -2]

which can be written as

|[itex]\phi[/itex]>=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}[/itex](v[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [ 0 // i // 0] + 2v[itex]_{-1}[/itex])

I would expect to write this state to be a combination of v[itex]_{1}[/itex], v[itex]_{0}[/itex] and v[itex]_{-1}[/itex] but this vector [ 0 // i // 0 ] is tricking me. What measure is associated to it and what is the probability to measure zero?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
v[itex]_{1}[/itex] = [1 // 0 // 0]

v[itex]_{0}[/itex] = [0 // 0 // 0]

v[itex]_{-1}[/itex] = [0 // 0 // -1]

Your v[itex]_{0}[/itex] vector is written incorrectly.

I'm sorry... what's wrong with it?

An eigenvector (autovector) is never the zero vector .

So how can I find the eigenvector associated to the measure of the eigenvalue zero?

What I did was to find the eigenvalues with the condition that

det(S[itex]_{z}[/itex]-[itex]\omega[/itex]I)=0

where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the eigenvalue and I is the identity matrix. This procedure gave me

([itex]\hbar^{2}[/itex]-[itex]\omega^{2}[/itex])[itex]\omega[/itex]=0

I then used these results (one at a time) in

(S[itex]_{z}[/itex]-[itex]\omega[/itex]I)v=0

and for [itex]\omega[/itex]=0 this equation gave me v=[0 // 0 // 0]

I can see why the zero vector cannot be an eigenvector but how do I find the vector associated to [itex]\omega[/itex]=0 then?

Gabriel Maia said:
I then used these results (one at a time) in

(S[itex]_{z}[/itex]-[itex]\omega[/itex]I)v=0

and for [itex]\omega[/itex]=0 this equation gave me v=[0 // 0 // 0]

Recheck your work for the ##\omega = 0## case. If you still get the zero vector then show your work for this case.

Beginning from the eigenvalue equation

S[itex]_{z}[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/itex]

we have

[[itex]\hbar[/itex] 0 0 // 0 0 0 // 0 0 -[itex]\hbar[/itex]] * [v[itex]_{a}[/itex] // v[itex]_{b}[/itex] // v[itex]_{c}[/itex]]= [itex]\omega[/itex][v[itex]_{a}[/itex] // v[itex]_{b}[/itex] // v[itex]_{c}[/itex]]

where v[itex]_{a}[/itex], v[itex]_{b}[/itex] e v[itex]_{c}[/itex] are the components of the vector [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/itex].

Applying the matrix operator S[itex]_{z}[/itex] we have the equations

[itex]\hbar[/itex]v[itex]_{a}[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex]v[itex]_{a}[/itex]

0*v[itex]_{b}[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex]v[itex]_{b}[/itex]

-[itex]\hbar[/itex]v[itex]_{c}[/itex]=[itex]\omega[/itex]v[itex]_{c}[/itex]

if [itex]\omega[/itex]=0 I see v[itex]_{a}[/itex] and v[itex]_{c}[/itex] are zero too but I'm not sure about v[itex]_{b}[/itex] because

0*v[itex]_{b}[/itex]=0*v[itex]_{b}[/itex]

It could be anything. How can I find it?

Gabriel Maia said:
if [itex]\omega[/itex]=0 I see v[itex]_{a}[/itex] and v[itex]_{c}[/itex] are zero too but I'm not sure about v[itex]_{b}[/itex] because

0*v[itex]_{b}[/itex]=0*v[itex]_{b}[/itex]

It could be anything. How can I find it?

Right, v[itex]_{b}[/itex] could be any number. But you want your eigenstates to be normalized.

Right right... in this case I have the condition v[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex]=1. And then v[itex]_{b}[/itex]=[itex]{\pm}[/itex]1.

I could define a normalization constant N which would be N=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{v_{b}}}[/itex] but it is simpler to choose v[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]_{b}[/itex]=[itex]{\pm}[/itex]1.

Am I free to choose the sign? I think I am. I don't see any constraint to my choice.

Yes, you can choose either sign (or even choose a complex number of magnitude 1). But, there is one choice that will look the best!

In this case I will choose v[itex]_{b}[/itex]=1.

Thank you!

Good. Note, for the vector V-1 you could have chosen [0, 0, 1] rather than [0, 0, -1].

Then your eigenvectors are [1, 0, 0], [0, 1, 0], and [0, 0, 1] which is the "standard" representation.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a spin-1 particle's spin operator?

The spin operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the angular momentum of a particle, specifically particles with a spin of 1. It is represented by the symbol S and is a vector operator that operates on the particle's wave function.

2. How is the spin operator measured?

The spin operator is measured by performing experiments and observing the outcomes, such as the directions of emitted particles or the deflection of a particle in a magnetic field. It is also quantified through mathematical equations and calculations.

3. What is the physical significance of the spin operator?

The spin operator has physical significance as it is related to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It also plays a crucial role in determining the magnetic properties of a particle and its interactions with other particles.

4. How does the spin operator behave under rotations?

The spin operator behaves like a vector under rotations, meaning it transforms according to the rules of vector addition and multiplication. This behavior is consistent with the physical interpretation of spin as a form of angular momentum.

5. Can the spin operator be used to describe particles with spins other than 1?

Yes, the spin operator can be used to describe particles with spins other than 1, such as spin-1/2 particles. However, the mathematical equations and calculations will be different for particles with different spins.