Finding the Limit of a Definite Integral in an Integral Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of the function ##f(r)=\int_0^{\pi/2} x^r\sin x \,\, dx##, and matches it with potential answers involving limits and ratios as r approaches infinity. The solution may involve integration by parts, and the integral in the last option (S) may be equal to 0 as suggested by sketching the function ##x^r## for increasing powers of r on the interval [0,1].
D H said:
Too complicated!

There's no need for the change of variables here.

All that is needed is a relationship between ##f(r) \equiv \int_0^{\pi/2} x^r \sin x\,dx## and ##g(r) \equiv \int_0^{\pi/2} x^r \cos x\,dx##. Integration by parts will give that relationship. It's best to choose u and v such that ##uv\bigl|_0^{\pi/2} = 0##.

Hi D H! :)

I used integration by parts and got the following relations:

$$f(r)=rg(r-1)$$
$$g(r)=\frac{f(r+1)}{r+1}$$

How should I use the above? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
Hi D H! :)

I used integration by parts and got the following relations:

$$f(r)=rg(r-1)$$
$$g(r)=\frac{f(r+1)}{r+1}$$
Very good.

How should I use the above? :confused:
For one thing, you can use it to show that Q and R are the same question. If you can solve one you can solve the other.

D H said:
For one thing, you can use it to show that Q and R are the same question. If you can solve one you can solve the other.

D H, I already solved Q and R, I still haven't been able to find the correct approach for P. Can you please look at my post #34? I used integration by parts as haruspex suggested and now I think the limit goes to zero for the new integral (as ##r \rightarrow \infty## and ##0 < 1-x < 1##). Is that correct?

Suppose you ignore the sin(x) term in the integral: ##\int_0^{\pi/2} x^r dr## . Since 0 < sin(x) < 1 for all x in (0,pi/2), this gives an upper bound on f(r). Substituting that sin(x) term with sin(1) leads to another simple integral. Show that this is a lower bound on f(r).

Now use these bounds to show that ##f(r)=c_r \int_0^{\pi/2} x^r dr## where cr is some value between sin(1) and 1. What is the behavior of cr as r→∞?