Defining Reference Entropy and Chemical Potential in Different Phases

In summary: They both have the same enthalpy of vaporization andhave the same vapor pressure, but the monoclinic form has a higher temperature at which it is in equilibrium.
M. next
Supposing that some solid can exist at 2 different phases (had 2 different crystalline structure) at some temperature and pressure. Can we define the same reference entropy or chemical potential for these two states (knowing that we are talking about the same solid)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are indeed materials that can have different crystal structures under the same conditions. For example titanium dioxide, TiO2, can be found in the rutile, anatase or brookite crystal structure at room temperature and pressure (Rutile seems to be the equilibrium state, anatase and brookite are metastable). However, the entropies and chemical potentials of the different structures will almost certainly differ by a small percentage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide

The "reference phase" in this case should clearly be rutile, as it is the equilibrium phase.

Thank you for your reply.
So you are saying by a small percentage. Ideally speaking, can I take them the same and neglect this "small" percentage?

And one more thing, why do they differ by a small percentage and not a large one?

This is a bit hand-waving, but if the difference was very large, then the higher (free) energy phase would probably not be meta-stable.

I have no idea how large exactly the differences are, but to first approximation it can probably be neglected in most cases.

A counter-example might be carbon, which can occur as graphite or diamond. Their properties are quite different...

Oh to neglect the difference, the higher energy phase must be meta stable?

I guess the definition of meta stable is "has higher energy than the ground state, but has an energy barrier to overcome to get there". Because of the energy barrier the state can "survive" for some time.

If the higher energy state was not meta stable it would be unstable and decay to the ground state.

The idea is that there is only one ground state phase, therefore all others that can exist under the same conditions must be meta stable, i.e. the ground state under different conditions, but that does not spontaneously transform to the ground state when the conditions are changed. Diamond is a good example.

To neglect the differences the two phases must be sufficiently similar. For the different forms of TiO2 that
may be a good approximation. For Graphite/Diamond I am not so sure.

(you may have noticed that I am moving from waving my hands to flailing my arms :))Other examples are undercooled liquids that remain liquid even below the nominal freezing point. This can be generalized to all first order phase transition that show some hysteresis.

M. next said:
Supposing that some solid can exist at 2 different phases (had 2 different crystalline structure) at some temperature and pressure. Can we define the same reference entropy or chemical potential for these two states (knowing that we are talking about the same solid)?

Of course there is a phase transition line between different crystalline phases where two different phases coexist.
They have the same chemical potential as they are in equilibrium with respect to particle exchange.
An example is the equilibrium between rhombic and monoclinic sulfur.

1. What is the reference state of a solid?

The reference state of a solid is the standard state in which its properties are measured and compared to in order to determine any changes or deviations.

2. How is the reference state of a solid determined?

The reference state of a solid is typically determined by measuring its properties at a specific temperature and pressure, usually at standard temperature and pressure (STP).

3. Why is the reference state important in scientific research?

The reference state is important in scientific research because it provides a baseline for comparison and allows for the accurate measurement and understanding of a solid's properties.

4. Can the reference state of a solid change?

Yes, the reference state of a solid can change depending on the temperature and pressure conditions. For example, some solids have different reference states at high temperatures or pressures.

5. How does the reference state of a solid differ from its standard state?

The reference state of a solid is the standard state at a specific temperature and pressure, whereas the standard state of a solid is the most stable state of the solid at any given temperature and pressure.