Troubleshooting Mesh Analysis on the Ti-nSpire CAS Calculator

In summary, the new Ti-nspire CAS calculator is not working correctly with equations that involve matrix operations.
brickford5
I have just gotten my new Ti-nspire CAS calculator and seem to be stumped. I have created my two equations from my mesh analysis of a circuit.

Loop I2: I1(2+j2)+I2(8-j2)=12
Loop I1: I1(-j2)+I2(j-4)=0

I know I can solve this by hand but would like to learn to use my nspire. Any direction would be greatly appreciated, I feel I have tried everything I can think of and can't seem to get the result.

{{2+2i, -2i}, {8-2i, 12+i}} * {{I1, I2} = {{12, 0}} - I think this is right?

------------------------------------
Some things I've tried:

- Using dotP:
Creating the matrix of coefficients {{2+2i, -2i}, {8-2i, 12+i}}, taking the inverse (^-1) and dot-ting (dotP{}) it with [12,0] - I get 'Error Invalid data type'​

- Using cSolve:
Input: cSolve(x(2+i2)+y(8-2i)=12 and x(-i2)+y(i-4)=0,x,y​
Output: x=c6 and y=c7 and (then repeats equations)​

I reviewed numerous youtube videos and instructions but couldn't seem to find a solution the resulted in the right answer. I am trying to find I2 and did the hand calculations to get I2=1.76-1.06j

Thanks in advance to any input!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Don't use matrix. Too tedious! Use the "Solve system of equations" feature.

For this basic circuit it would look like this! You access this feature by clicking menu, then 3 (algebra) then 7

a874c6acf2.jpg

You have an error in your equation from your first set of equations to your Matrix form (j-4) does not equal (12+J).

On using matrix features, have you tried your RREF (Reduced Row Echelon Form) the 2X3 matrix of your circuit ie the last column is your result. This command will reduce your matrix to provide an answer for I1 and I2 in the last column. Should work unless your Tinspire is based upon the Ti-84 (non-CAS model). The Ti-83/84 cannot handle complex matrix math. Not sure about the TinSpire NON-CAS calculator either.

1. What is Ti-nSpire?

Ti-nSpire is a graphing calculator developed by Texas Instruments. It is a powerful and versatile calculator that allows users to perform various mathematical operations, graph functions and equations, and store and analyze data.

2. What is Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits. It involves breaking down a complex circuit into smaller, simpler parts called meshes and using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to calculate the currents flowing through each mesh.

3. How is Ti-nSpire used for Mesh Analysis?

Ti-nSpire has built-in tools and functions that allow users to perform Mesh Analysis. Users can input the circuit variables and equations into the calculator and it will automatically solve for the mesh currents.

4. What are the advantages of using Ti-nSpire for Mesh Analysis?

Using Ti-nSpire for Mesh Analysis allows for quick and accurate calculations, as well as the ability to store and analyze large amounts of data. It also allows for easy visualization of the circuit and the ability to make changes and see their effects in real-time.

5. Can Ti-nSpire be used for other types of circuit analysis?

Yes, Ti-nSpire can also be used for other types of circuit analysis such as nodal analysis, Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits, and AC circuit analysis. It is a versatile tool that can handle a wide range of mathematical and engineering calculations.