What can be seen if taking a snap shot @ 4.21K? Superconductivity

In summary: Dear Zz,Sorry I have thought for a long time how to make myself clear, but I failed obviously.I just want to keep my post short hence did not tell the background of why I asking this question, because I think you would not interested in. You have answered my original question in your first reply, I took it and not going to ask more regarding to that. What I really care about is:I reckon there would be some evidence can be "seen" in this phase transition. Just like water transforming to ice, you can see ice and water mix in the middle of transition, and this transition took time. So I asking myself is there possible to "see" or more
paulzhen
image012.gif

In the above picture it is clear that the transition from normal to superconducting states is not infinitesimally sharp, it drops from around 4.22K ~ end at 4.20K. I have two questions for this:

1) I wondering, what can be seen if taking a snap shot in the middle, say @ 4.21K? Would I see cooper pairs and free electrons mixed?

2) But as I know, cooper pairs would not "mix" with free electrons, because the exist of free electrons will disturb or say, break the condensed states of cooper pairs, it means either 100% cooper pairs or 100% free electrons in the conductor. Is my understanding right?

THANKS A LOT FOR HELPING!

Physics news on Phys.org
The transition, in principle, is "sharp" because this is similar to a phase transition. However, in practice, we don't see it because (i) the uniformity and purity of the sample (ii) the resolution of the instrument, etc.

But secondly, you need to realize that even in a completely superconducting state, there are both paired and unpaired electrons! In other words, there are electrons in the supercurrent, and there are normal electrons! Not all the electrons condense into the supercurrent.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The transition, in principle, is "sharp" because this is similar to a phase transition. However, in practice, we don't see it because (i) the uniformity and purity of the sample (ii) the resolution of the instrument, etc.

But secondly, you need to realize that even in a completely superconducting state, there are both paired and unpaired electrons! In other words, there are electrons in the supercurrent, and there are normal electrons! Not all the electrons condense into the supercurrent.

Zz.

Dear Zz,

So the "transition range" from 4.22k to 4.20k shown in this diagram is only due to the issues such as impurities or instrument? But I believe it still require "a tiny period of time" to complete forming cooper pairs, right?

I am looking for some "proofs" for the exist of this "tiny period of time", any advice for me? Thanks!

paulzhen said:
Dear Zz,

So the "transition range" from 4.22k to 4.20k shown in this diagram is only due to the issues such as impurities or instrument? But I believe it still require "a tiny period of time" to complete forming cooper pairs, right?

I am looking for some "proofs" for the exist of this "tiny period of time", any advice for me? Thanks!

I have no idea what you mean by "a tiny period of time". That measurement as nothing to do with "time". I can vary the temperature as fast and as slow as I want to. So what does time have anything to do with this?

Furthermore, it appears that you no longer care about your original question, which is the presence of both cooper paired electrons and normal state electrons, even in the superconducting state.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I have no idea what you mean by "a tiny period of time". That measurement as nothing to do with "time". I can vary the temperature as fast and as slow as I want to. So what does time have anything to do with this?

Furthermore, it appears that you no longer care about your original question, which is the presence of both cooper paired electrons and normal state electrons, even in the superconducting state.

Zz.

Dear Zz,

Sorry I have thought for a long time how to make myself clear, but I failed obviously.

I just want to keep my post short hence did not tell the background of why I asking this question, because I think you would not interested in. You have answered my original question in your first reply, I took it and not going to ask more regarding to that.

What I really care about is:
I reckon there would be some evidence can be "seen" in this phase transition. Just like water transforming to ice, you can see ice and water mix in the middle of transition, and this transition took time. So I asking myself is there possible to "see" or more practically speaking, find some "proofs" for this period of superconducting transition. Since this is a "phase transition", I cannot imagine how anything "transform" to other things without any "intermediate state".

I thought the graph above is an evidence for this "intermediate state", but I believe I was wrong, so I am asking for another advices, hopefully I have made myself a bit more clear now.

Last edited:

What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This means that electric current can flow through these materials without any loss of energy.

What are the practical applications of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines, in power transmission and storage, and in high-speed trains and other forms of transportation.

What materials exhibit superconductivity at 4.21K?

The critical temperature for superconductivity varies depending on the material. At 4.21K, some of the materials that exhibit superconductivity include niobium-titanium, lead, and tin.

Why is 4.21K a significant temperature for superconductivity?

4.21K is significant because it is close to the boiling point of liquid helium, which is commonly used to cool materials to their critical temperature for superconductivity. This makes it a practical and accessible temperature for studying and utilizing superconductivity.

What are the current challenges in achieving higher critical temperatures for superconductivity?

One of the main challenges in achieving higher critical temperatures for superconductivity is understanding the fundamental mechanisms that govern this phenomenon. Researchers are also exploring different materials and techniques to try and find materials that exhibit superconductivity at higher temperatures.