Why does the anomalous Zeeman effect not show up on some atoms?

In summary, some atoms exhibit the "anomalous" Zeeman effect where the expected equally-spaced triplet is split into four, six, or more lines, while other atoms show the normal Zeeman effect. The explanation for this phenomenon provides insight into the effects of electron spin. The presence of spin in electrons on the hydrogen atom does not fully explain the differences in line splitting between atoms.
carllacan
Why does the "anomalous" Zeeman effect not show up on some atoms?

I read this:
While the Zeeman effect in some atoms (e.g hydrogen) showed the expected equally-spaced triplet, in other atoms the magnetic field split the lines into four, six, or even more lines and some triplets showed wider spacings than expected. These deviations were labeled the "anomalous Zeeman effect" and were very puzzling to early researchers. The explanation of these different patterns of splitting gave additional insight into the effects of electron spin.

I don't see why the electron spin affected the number of lines to go up in some atoms and not in others. The electron(s) on the H atom also have spin.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that that's a quote from HyperPhysics. I must say that I don't get it either: the normal Zeeman effect is seen in states with ##S=0## (such as in helium), which is not the case for hydrogen (##S=1/2##).

1. Why do some atoms not exhibit the anomalous Zeeman effect?

Some atoms do not exhibit the anomalous Zeeman effect because they have filled electron shells, meaning that their electrons are in pairs with opposite spins. This results in a net spin of zero, so there is no change in energy when an external magnetic field is applied.

2. How does the electron configuration of an atom affect the presence of the anomalous Zeeman effect?

The electron configuration of an atom determines its net spin and therefore its susceptibility to the anomalous Zeeman effect. Atoms with partially filled electron shells or unpaired electrons are more likely to exhibit the effect.

3. Can the strength of the external magnetic field influence the presence of the anomalous Zeeman effect?

Yes, the strength of the external magnetic field can influence the presence of the anomalous Zeeman effect. At lower field strengths, only the normal Zeeman effect is observed. It is only at higher field strengths that the anomalous Zeeman effect becomes significant.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the presence of the anomalous Zeeman effect?

Yes, the presence of other nearby atoms or molecules can also affect the presence of the anomalous Zeeman effect. This is because the external magnetic field can interact with the magnetic fields of neighboring particles, altering the energy levels and potentially suppressing the anomalous Zeeman effect.

5. Can the anomalous Zeeman effect be observed in any other types of particles besides atoms?

Yes, the anomalous Zeeman effect can also be observed in other particles with spin, such as electrons and protons. However, it may manifest differently due to the different nature of their energy levels and interactions with external magnetic fields.