What would be the color of the sea without an atmosphere?

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, the color appearance of the sea on Earth would most likely be primarily blue-green due to the wavelengths that propagate best through water. However, there is also a possibility of it appearing black if the sky is clear and light can only reflect from a certain depth. This is just an opinion and may vary depending on the depth and light source used.
sniffer
what will be the colour appearance of the sea on earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
The sea would evaporate

But if you mean the sky was clear instead of blue, then I would imagine the sea to appear black since light can only reflect from so far down. It would be clear towards the shore (you would see the ground under teh water).

Just my opinion.

I think that it would still be primarily blue-green, since those are the wavelengths that propogate best through water. If you take a pure white (halogen, for instance) light source to a depth where sunlight doesn't exist, things are going to have that teal tinge. The situation shouldn't change just because of a lack of atmosphere, since at depth it's irrelevant. As whozum said, however, that's just my opinion.

What is the importance of atmosphere?

The atmosphere plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth's temperature, protecting us from harmful radiation, and providing the oxygen we need to survive.

How does the absence of atmosphere affect life on Earth?

If there was no atmosphere, the Earth's surface would be too cold for most life forms to survive. Additionally, without the protection of the atmosphere, the Earth's surface would be bombarded with harmful levels of radiation from the sun.

What causes an atmosphere to exist?

An atmosphere is created through a combination of factors such as gravity, the Earth's magnetic field, and the outgassing of gases from volcanic activity and other processes.

Can a planet survive without an atmosphere?

It is highly unlikely for a planet to survive without an atmosphere. The atmosphere helps to maintain stable temperatures and protects the planet from harsh solar radiation. Without these factors, a planet would not be able to sustain life.

How does the atmosphere affect weather patterns?

The atmosphere plays a crucial role in weather patterns by controlling the distribution of heat and moisture across the Earth's surface. Changes in atmospheric conditions can result in different types of weather, such as rain, snow, hurricanes, and more.