Can 120V adapters function when supplied with 240V?

• Thread starter godchuanz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electrical devices in countries with different AC voltages and the potential risks of using adapters designed for a specific voltage. It is generally accepted that separate adapters are needed, but the specific functions and design of the adapter can vary. It is not safe to plug a 120V device into a 240V source without a proper adapter. Some adapters may have a universal input range, but it is important to always check the device's specifications before using it with a different voltage.
godchuanz
Hi,

I am new here and has been thinking about this for quite some time...

It is generally accepted that to use electrical devices in countries with AC voltages different from yours will require a separate adapter. But what actually happens in the adapter that renders it unuseable in another country?

Let's say we have a 120V AC to 12V DC adapter. I can't be sure, but I believe what it does is flip the bottom half up, step down using a transformer, then smoothen out the waveform using capacitors.

Now, let's say you are in a place with 240V AC wall, and you plug that adapter into the socket, does it output anything at all? Since the functions within the adapter itself are somewhat independant of voltage supplied, is it right to assume that this adapter will convert 240V AC into 24V DC?

Thanks for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
godchuanz said:
…Let's say we have a 120V AC to 12V DC adapter. I can't be sure, but I believe what it does is flip the bottom half up, step down using a transformer, then smoothen out the waveform using capacitors.

Not quite, step down-flip- smooth. There are other ways to get 12vdc from 120vac and it can be done without a transformer.

godchuanz said:
Now, let's say you are in a place with 240V AC wall, and you plug that adapter into the socket, does it output anything at all? Since the functions within the adapter itself are somewhat independant of voltage supplied, is it right to assume that this adapter will convert 240V AC into 24V DC?…

As someone stated in another thread you will most likely let out all the smoke the manufacture put into it.

What will happen depends on the design, but the 12vdc is usually the result of a solid state-regulating component that will attempt to maintain the 12vdc despite input voltage variations. If the device is designed for a specific function, say a power tool battery charger, component-reducing shortcuts may be taken to reduce manufacturing costs.

In short, do not plug a 120vac device into a 240vac source.

If it says "universal input 85-240 VAC" then it will work but it will still
put out 12 V.

Otherwise, don't do it!

1. Can a 120V adapter be used with 240V outlets?

No, a 120V adapter is not designed to handle 240V outlets and may cause damage to the adapter or the device it is connected to.

2. What will happen if I use a 120V adapter with a 240V power supply?

Using a 120V adapter with a 240V power supply can result in overheating, short circuits, and potentially damage to the adapter, device, or even cause a fire.

3. Is it safe to use a voltage converter with a 120V adapter to use it with a 240V power supply?

While using a voltage converter may allow the 120V adapter to function with a 240V power supply, it is not recommended as it may still pose a safety risk and could potentially damage the adapter or device.

4. Can I modify a 120V adapter to work with 240V outlets?

No, modifying a 120V adapter to work with 240V outlets is not safe and can cause serious damage or injury. It is best to use an adapter specifically designed for 240V outlets.

5. What type of adapter should I use for 240V outlets?

You should use an adapter that is specifically designed for 240V outlets. This type of adapter will have the appropriate voltage and wattage rating to safely handle the higher voltage.