Repose Angle: Why Doesn't Matter Float?

• Thread starter Nirav Chavda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Float
In summary: If the mass is initially at rest, and the static friction is sufficient to balance the component of the weight acting down the plane, then the mass will remain in place. If the mass is initially moving, the static friction will not be sufficient to balance the weight and the mass will start moving. If the mass is at rest, the static friction will be sufficient to balance the weight and the mass will remain in place.In summary, the mass will move down the plane if the static friction is insufficient to balance the weight.
Doc Al said:
How do you start moving with zero acceleration?

brother .. you've got an excellent point there but I'm still uncontent. i'll try get to the main core just wait..

Physics news on Phys.org
thank you very much you've solved my problem.
the simple answer to this was that the body will accelerate down due to some smallest inevitable disturbance(at quantum level) and this would change the Static F. to kinetic F. which is lesser. and so new net force acting downwards will be produced resulting in downward motion.

thankyou again for spending your working :wink: hours for helping me out!
meet you at some other forum!

I am also having difficultly following the question. If the object is initially not moving how can it be also moveing at a constant speed? Speed is 0. How can it be on a frictionless incline (mentioned air frictionless) and be suspended? I need help in visuallizing this. Sorry

Nirav Chavda said:
the simple answer to this was that the body will accelerate down due to some smallest inevitable disturbance(at quantum level) and this would change the Static F. to kinetic F. which is lesser. and so new net force acting downwards will be produced resulting in downward motion.

Oy vey!

And all you foolish people thought quantum effects cannot manifest themselves clearly at the macroscopic level!

Zz.

Oy vey! This has got to be one of the most innane threads I've ever seen here - and this from a guy who put a lot of energy into a 9/11 conspiracy thread! I'm sooo glad I didn't see this thread this morning.

Silly ZZ - statements of facts are things I make and you accept...

<h2>1. What is the repose angle?</h2><p>The repose angle is the maximum angle at which a material can be piled without collapsing due to gravity.</p><h2>2. Why doesn't matter float at the repose angle?</h2><p>The repose angle is the angle at which the material is in equilibrium with gravity. This means that the weight of the material is evenly distributed and there is no force acting to make it float.</p><h2>3. How is the repose angle determined?</h2><p>The repose angle is determined by the physical properties of the material, such as its density, shape, and surface roughness. It can also be affected by external factors like moisture and vibration.</p><h2>4. Can the repose angle change?</h2><p>Yes, the repose angle can change depending on the conditions of the material. For example, wet or loose materials may have a lower repose angle compared to dry or compacted materials.</p><h2>5. Why is the repose angle important to know?</h2><p>The repose angle is important in industries such as mining, construction, and agriculture as it helps determine the stability and flow properties of materials. It can also help prevent accidents and optimize processes.</p>

1. What is the repose angle?

The repose angle is the maximum angle at which a material can be piled without collapsing due to gravity.

2. Why doesn't matter float at the repose angle?

The repose angle is the angle at which the material is in equilibrium with gravity. This means that the weight of the material is evenly distributed and there is no force acting to make it float.

3. How is the repose angle determined?

The repose angle is determined by the physical properties of the material, such as its density, shape, and surface roughness. It can also be affected by external factors like moisture and vibration.

4. Can the repose angle change?

Yes, the repose angle can change depending on the conditions of the material. For example, wet or loose materials may have a lower repose angle compared to dry or compacted materials.

5. Why is the repose angle important to know?

The repose angle is important in industries such as mining, construction, and agriculture as it helps determine the stability and flow properties of materials. It can also help prevent accidents and optimize processes.