Planes Calculation Help: Find Point of Intersection with Coordinate Planes

In summary, we are considering a new line parallel to the given line and passing through the point P(-3, -4, 3). To find the points of intersection with the xy-plane, we need to set z=0 and solve for t in the x and y equations. However, to find the equation of the line parallel to the given one, we need to solve for t first and then use that value to find the x and y coordinates of the point of intersection.
Whatupdoc
Consider the line which passes through the point P(-3, -4, 3), and which is parallel to the line x=1+6t, y=2+4t,z=3+1t

Find the point of intersection of this new line with each of the coordinate planes:

xy-plane:(_,_,_)
yz-plane:(_,_,_)
yz-plane:(_,_,_)

to find xy-plane, I am thinking that i need to set z=0, but I'm not extactly sure how i would solve for the other two points(x & y). can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the line intersects with the xy plane, it will have z=0. Here you can solve for t.

1+6t=2+4t
t=1/2

and when i plug that 1/2 back in for the x and y equation, i get the wrong answer. I'm not understanding what you are trying to tell me.

Find the equation of the line parallel to the one given that goes through that point first. Then notice that When it intersects the xy plane, the z component of the line will be 0.

1. How do you calculate the angle of a plane's descent?

The angle of a plane's descent is calculated using the formula: angle = arctan(vertical distance / horizontal distance). The vertical distance is the change in altitude and the horizontal distance is the change in distance traveled along the ground.

2. What is the maximum weight a plane can carry?

The maximum weight a plane can carry is determined by its maximum takeoff weight (MTOW), which is the heaviest weight at which the plane can safely take off. This weight is determined by the plane's design, including its size, structure, and engine power.

3. How is the fuel consumption of a plane calculated?

The fuel consumption of a plane is calculated using the specific fuel consumption (SFC) rate. This is the amount of fuel needed to produce a unit of thrust. SFC rates vary depending on the type of engine and the altitude and airspeed of the plane.

4. What factors affect a plane's range and endurance?

A plane's range and endurance are affected by several factors, including the amount of fuel it can carry, its aerodynamics and engine efficiency, the weight of the plane and its cargo, and weather conditions such as wind and temperature.

5. How is airspeed calculated for a plane?

Airspeed is calculated using the difference between the total air pressure and the static air pressure. This is known as the pitot-static system and is measured using instruments such as an airspeed indicator and altimeter. The airspeed of a plane can also be affected by altitude, temperature, and wind conditions.