Quick linear equation question

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation (3/a)+1=4/a and provides different methods of solving it. The final answer is determined to be a = 1. There is also a brief discussion about the order of operations and the correct form of the equation.
james_rich
Hey, its bin ages since i did any maths, and gotten a little rusty, am i doing this right when solving these equations?

Find a

3/a+1 = 4/a

(multiply a+1) 3 = (4a + 4)/a

(multiply a) 3a = 4a + 4

(-4) 3a - 4 = 4a

(-3a) -4 = a

Is this right? or have i done this wrong? its looks easy to do (basics) but I've forgotton! Let me kno cheers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First that's not a linear equation!

It certainly doesn't belong in "Linear and Abstract Algebra". I'm going to move it to "general math".

The only comment I have on it is that I see no reason to subtract 4 from both sides (moving the 4 over to the right). It would be quicker and easier to subtract 3a from both sides.

You start off with
[tex] \frac {3} {a} + 1 = \frac {4} {a}[/tex] now I hope you didnt get your order of operations, and you actaully meant 3/(a+1). But assuming the oder is right, I don't get how you derived your second equation.
[tex]3 = \frac {4a + 4} {a}[/tex]
First of all, as far as I know, if you divide a on the left, you multuiply it by everything on the right. But you seem to only multiply it by the numerator. And why do you add 4 and not 1? I would have it look like this.
[tex]3 = \frac {4} {a} \cdot a - 1[/tex]

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
eNathan said:
You start off with
[tex] \frac {1} {a} + 1 = \frac {4} {a}[/tex] now I hope you didnt get your order of operations, and you actaully meant 3/(a+1). But assuming the oder is right, I don't get how you derived your second equation.
First of all, as far as I know, if you divide a on the left, you multuiply it by everything on the right. But you seem to only multiply it by the numerator. And why do you add 4 and not 1? I would have it look like this.
[tex]3 = \frac {4} {a} \cdot a - 1[/tex]

Correct me if I am wrong.

think ur reading into this a bit too much, its a really basic question, and i have the right answer (i just found out)

I am reading into it too much? Ok, sure. But I just want to clarify (for my own purposes) if it is true that
[tex] \frac {3} {a} + 1 = \frac {4} {a}[/tex]
can be reduced to (erm, not reduced, I forgot the term)
This is correct?

Not sure, its 3am in Britain! I can barely concentrate on the clock, let alone do my math homework! i'll leave it in the capable hands of the smart people on this site, tho all looks good to me

Bed for me!

lol yea I know that feeling, being way past your usual bed-time, and somebody asks you to write a program or work out some math. :zzz: Its only 9 PM and I should goto bed already.

Solve (3/a)+1=4/a. I get a=1.
Solve 3=(4a+4)/a. I get a=-4.
Therefore one does not reduce to the other which means your initial assumption was probably wrong, i.e. the order is not right and the origional equation was 3/(a+1)=4/a not (3/a)+1=4/a.

My turn...

3/a + 1 = 4/a

3/a - 4/a = -1

-1/a = -1

if: -1/a = -1 then: a = -1/-1 or a = 1

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is a mathematical expression that describes a relationship between two variables, typically written in the form y = mx + b. The variables represent the slope and y-intercept of a straight line.

How do I solve a quick linear equation?

To solve a linear equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation by performing inverse operations. For example, if the equation is 2x + 5 = 15, you would subtract 5 from both sides to get 2x = 10, then divide both sides by 2 to get x = 5.

What is the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form makes it easy to graph the equation and interpret the slope and y-intercept.

Can a linear equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear equation can have infinitely many solutions. In the case of a vertical line, all values of x will satisfy the equation, and in the case of a horizontal line, there will be no solution.

How are linear equations used in science?

Linear equations are used in science to model and predict relationships between variables. They can be used to analyze data, make predictions, and create mathematical models in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology.