Relation between light and sound speed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the potential relationship between light and sound speed in liquids. While some suggest there may be a mathematical relation, others point out that the mechanisms of EM and mechanical wave propagation are different. One suggestion for measuring the speed of sound in liquids is to use a piezo crystal, signal source and oscilloscope, which can accurately measure the time it takes for an ultra sound pulse to travel through the liquid. However, the original poster is unsure as they are still in high school and do not have much knowledge in physics.
sombrancelha
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if there is any relation between the light and the sound speed in a liquid. For example, light speed/sound speed = constant, or something like that...
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge. The mechanisms of EM and mechanical wave propagation aren't the same.

Thanks for the answer, but i think that there might be some relation.
The thing is, I've got a problem in which I have to use light to measure the speed of sound in liquids.
Measuring the speed of light wouldn't be a problem, so I thought that there was some mathematical relation between them. This would allow me get to the speed of sound using light. Maybe my idea is wrong, but I've got no other ideas. Do you suggest something?
Thanks a lot,
Sombrancelha

Maybe a piezo crystal, signal source and an oscilloscope. You can use the piezo crystal to send an ultra sound pulse to the liquid and detect it with the same crystal as it returns from the other end of the container. Using the first and second reflected signals you detect on the scope you can measure the time the signal took to travel through the liquid pretty accurately. I did a lab like this with solids and it worked like a charm and it should work just as well with liquids.

Thanks;
Could you explain to me a bit better? I'm still at High School, so I don't have the knowledge I wish I had in Physics. What are piezo crystals and oscilloscopes? What do they do/measure? Something else, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your proposal, I wouldn't use light. But I have to use it.
Hope you (and others) can help me,
Sombrancelha

1. What is the relationship between light and sound speed?

The speed of light and sound are two different physical quantities that are not directly related to each other. The speed of light is a constant in a vacuum and is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. The speed of sound, on the other hand, depends on the medium it is traveling through. In air at room temperature, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second.

2. Can light travel faster than sound?

Yes, light can travel much faster than sound. As mentioned earlier, the speed of light is a constant and much higher than the speed of sound. In fact, light travels approximately 874,030 times faster than sound in air at room temperature.

3. How does the speed of light and sound affect our perception of events?

The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound, which means that we often see events before we hear them. For example, when watching a fireworks show, we will see the explosion before we hear the sound. This is because light travels much faster than sound, so it reaches our eyes before the sound waves reach our ears.

4. What factors affect the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is affected by several factors, including temperature, humidity, and the medium it is traveling through. In general, sound travels faster in warmer temperatures and through denser mediums. It also travels faster in liquids and solids compared to gases.

5. Can the speed of light and sound be altered?

The speed of light cannot be altered as it is a fundamental constant in the universe. However, the speed of sound can be altered by changing the temperature or humidity of the medium it is traveling through. Additionally, some materials, like glass or water, can slow down the speed of light through them.