Chemistry - Stoichiometry - Some limiting reactants

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the grams of ammonia and nitrogen produced when 20.0g of hydrogen reacts in the reaction N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3. The correct calculations are 112.5g of ammonia produced and 46.2g of nitrogen reacting. The conversation also includes a question about formatting text and using LaTeX.
uchihajeff
Did I answer these questions correctly?

5. In the reaction N2 + 3H2 -> 2NH3, if 20.0g of hydrogen reacts:
...a. How many grams of ammonia are produced?

...20.0g H2...|1 mol H2..|2 mol NH3.|...17.04g NH3
......|2.02g H2.| 3 mol H2..|...1 mol NH3
112.5 grams of ammonia are produced.

...b. How many grams of nitrogen react?

...20.0g H2 ...|1 mol H2..|1 mol N2.| 14.01g N2
......|2.02g H2.| 3 mol H2| 1 mol N2
46.2g of nitrogen react.

I think I did something wrong in part b. 20g +46.2g doesn't make 112.5g

btw, is there an easier way to format text (spaces) and how does (I think) latex work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct in both parts.

Your only error (in part b) is with the molar mass of N2, which should be around 28. You forgot to double the atomic mass !

The only wat to format spaces is by enclosing the text within
Code:
 [/code ] tags.

For [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] see : [url]https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=9021[/url]

Thanks a lot for your help with the problem and my other questions.

It's always those little errors that get me...:grumpy:

1. What is stoichiometry in chemistry?

Stoichiometry in chemistry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves calculating the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa.

2. How do you determine the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction?

To determine the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction, you need to compare the amount of each reactant present with the amount required to completely react with the other reactants. The reactant with the smaller amount is the limiting reactant, as it will be completely consumed before the others.

3. Why is it important to identify the limiting reactant?

Identifying the limiting reactant is important because it determines the maximum amount of product that can be formed in a reaction. If the limiting reactant is not present in sufficient quantity, the reaction will stop and no more product will be formed.

4. How do you calculate the amount of excess reactant in a chemical reaction?

To calculate the amount of excess reactant, you first need to determine the amount of limiting reactant that is consumed in the reaction. Then, subtract this amount from the initial amount of excess reactant to find the remaining amount.

5. Can you have more than one limiting reactant in a chemical reaction?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one limiting reactant in a chemical reaction. This can occur when there are multiple reactants present and the amounts do not match the stoichiometric ratios required for complete reaction.