Is McCain's strategy to win over both sides a risky move?

• News
  • Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the changing opinions towards John McCain and his recent actions and statements. Some participants used to respect him but now dislike him due to his alliances with certain groups and his flip-flopping on issues like the Iraq War. Others still have some respect for him but question his sincerity and consistency. Overall, there is a sense of disappointment and lack of trust towards McCain as a potential presidential candidate.
drankin
But, he is starting to rub off a little. I love the fact that he is going against the grain of being PC. LOL

"bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb..."

Physics news on Phys.org
McCain used to be someone I could respect, but now I completely dislike him. He has jumped into bed with the very "agents of intolerance" that he espoused in 2000, and has been making "Mission Accomplished"-like appearances in Iraq. If he had run on a platform similar to his 2000 platform, I might have voted for him in this upcoming election. He's since made it clear that he'd rather pander to the neo-fascists, however, and he's the last person I'd vote for, Republican or Democrat.

As far as "going against the grain" by not being PC, let's be honest here. His new constituents don't care about political correctness, and he wasn't harmed by the statement in any way, except to further alienate people who aren't already his supporters.

Last edited:
Two election cycles ago, I would probably have given my support to McCain, but Bush blew him out of the water. Now, he's kissing up to the right wing so hard I can't stand him. We need a president who considers the good of ALL the country, not just his friends and supporters, and he is showing me (again) that he cannot be trusted. With Bush and Cheney, you knew that oil-men, defense contractors, big insurance companies and drug companies would scam us relentlessly with no governmental oversight. There is not a Republican or Democratic candidate that offers any hope of reform, and the D and R parties control all the money and all the lobbying influence that strangles our government. It is time for a change.

I used to like McCain, but no more. However, I do still respect him for his stand against the use of torture.

I don't get his sudden flip flop in saying everything in Iraq is fine.

I think he is convinced that if we leave too soon, the results will be orders of magnitude worse than conditions in and around Iraq and Af, and here, now. So he says whatever he thinks it will take to convince people to stay. Frankly, I can respect a lie of desperation in this situation. I may or may not agree, but I respect his motives.

What I can't respect is kissing the butts of right wing zealots that he once denounced.

and I like him less after he kissed jerry falwell's [ring].

From his character, I have to conclude that he really feels disgusting saying the things he has to say to save grace politically. Hes always come across as a reasonable guy, and I am sure inside he's not happy with having to say things like the war is fine.

Thats very different from someone like Bush who believes his own lies. That I can't stand.

i agree, but i cannot trust a man who goes against his own principles. at leAST BUSH can be trusted to be a [*****], but mccain apparently cannot be trusted to live by his own conscience.

mathwonk said:
i agree, but i cannot trust a man who goes against his own principles. at leAST BUSH can be trusted to be a [*****], but mccain apparently cannot be trusted to live by his own conscience.

Agreed.

He voted for the Military Commisions Act of 2006. As far as I'm concerned, that's an act of treason against the american people.

I desperately hope he does not get the republican nomination.

I think this is the last time he'll be considered a viable GOP candidate and he knows it, so he's just throwing everything out there to appeal to the same base that got Bush elected. He wants to appeal to them without having to directly have Bush campaigning for him if he gets the nomination. That way he can still get the loyal Bush supporters to get out and vote for him while at the same time keeping his distance from Bush and hopefully still appeal to the other side like he did in the past. Ultimately he's going to have to choose where he stands otherwise he's just going to confuse everyone.

1. Why didn't you like McCain?

As a scientist, I base my opinions and decisions on evidence and data. Based on his policies and actions, I did not agree with Senator McCain's stance on many important issues, such as healthcare and climate change.

2. Did you have a personal dislike for McCain?

As a scientist, I do not let personal biases or emotions influence my opinions. My stance on McCain is solely based on his political views and actions.

3. How do you respond to those who criticize you for not liking McCain?

I respect everyone's right to have their own opinions and beliefs. As a scientist, I value critical thinking and evidence-based reasoning, and my stance on McCain is a result of that.

4. Did you conduct any research on McCain before forming your opinion?

Yes, as a scientist, I always make sure to gather information from reliable sources and thoroughly research a topic before forming an opinion. I have studied Senator McCain's policies and actions, as well as his voting record, in order to form an informed opinion.

5. How do you think McCain would have responded to your dislike?

I cannot say for certain how Senator McCain would have responded to my opinions. However, as a politician, I believe he would have respected my right to have a different viewpoint and engage in respectful discourse and debate.