Searching for Perfect Squares using the Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the conversation is discussing an ongoing research on determining a perfect square given a difference. The researcher used the Pythagorean theorem for their theorem, but the originality of the study is being questioned. The speaker is asking for references to related studies on this topic.
oen_maclaude
perfect square?

hello everyone! i have come across an on-going research onDETERMINING A PERFECT SQUARE GIVEN A DIFFERENCE . However, I have a feeling that this was not an original one.

the researcher used the Pythagorean theorem to arrive at his so called "theorem".

would anyone give me a reference on some related studies. thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how anyone could say if there are "related studies" since you don't tell what the "study" is. In particular "DETERMINING A PERFECT SQUARE GIVEN A DIFFERENCE " could refer to any number of things. It might help if you gave a link to the website (if it was a website) or other reference.

what i mean is that are there other "studies/past studies on this kind of topic" actually, i haven't browsed any sites of other studies such as this. anway, if you have some, i hope you could share me the site. thank you very much!

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How is the Pythagorean Theorem used to find perfect squares?

The Pythagorean Theorem can be used to find perfect squares by setting up a right triangle with one side equal to a whole number and the other side equal to the square root of a perfect square. The length of the hypotenuse can then be calculated using the formula and if it is also a whole number, it is a perfect square.

3. What is the significance of finding perfect squares using the Pythagorean Theorem?

Finding perfect squares using the Pythagorean Theorem is significant because it allows us to easily identify numbers that are the sum of two other perfect squares. This has applications in fields such as number theory and cryptography.

4. Can the Pythagorean Theorem be used for non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. For non-right triangles, other trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent must be used to find missing side lengths.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem has many real-life applications, such as in construction to ensure that buildings are square, in navigation to calculate distances, and in sports to measure field or court dimensions. It is also used in various fields of science, engineering, and technology.