Question on Refractor Telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter willingtolearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: The image is inverted because it is looking down onto the sky, which is upside down in the telescope.
willingtolearn
I am plan on building a small refractor telescope about 20 cm long, i need your guys help !
1. What len is use for Objective len and what len is use for Eyepiece len ? (how is it look like)
2. How far should i place objective len and eyepiece len apart ?
3. If i make a 20 cm long refractor telescope, what is the diameter should the objective len and eyepiece len should be ?
Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The simplest refractor is a keplerian telescope
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telescope)
It just needs 2 convex lenses about 1" diamter for the objective and 1/2" for the eyepiece, the wiki link explains how to position them.

mgb_phys said:
The simplest refractor is a keplerian telescope
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telescope)
It just needs 2 convex lenses about 1" diamter for the objective and 1/2" for the eyepiece, the wiki link explains how to position them.

Thanks ! But i couldn't find the answers for my questions from that. Help please ?

If you want an overla tube length of 200mm you need the focal lengths of the two lenses to add to 200mm.
So you need an objective lens of around 150mm focal length and roughly 25mm diamter with an eyepiece lens of 50mm focal length and roughly 12mm diamter.
You can measure the actual focal lenghts by focusing an image of the sun onto paper and measuring the lens distance with a ruler.
Then just put the two lenses in a tube separated by the sum of their focal lengths and you will have a rather crude telescope. It won't have a good image quality but it will show you what Galileo / Kepler saw when the first used one.

The other posts got most of the stuff pretty much. But to get the most magnification out of your telescope you want the focal point on the first lens to be the largest possible, and then the focal length on the eyepiece to be as short as possible. But making it too short causes aberrations and imperfections, so you need to find a balance between the two lenses. I just know what the mathematical stuff is but I have no idea what the practical measurements are so I would go with what the person above me said :)

mgb_phys said:
If you want an overla tube length of 200mm you need the focal lengths of the two lenses to add to 200mm.
So you need an objective lens of around 150mm focal length and roughly 25mm diamter with an eyepiece lens of 50mm focal length and roughly 12mm diamter.
You can measure the actual focal lenghts by focusing an image of the sun onto paper and measuring the lens distance with a ruler.
Then just put the two lenses in a tube separated by the sum of their focal lengths and you will have a rather crude telescope. It won't have a good image quality but it will show you what Galileo / Kepler saw when the first used one.

Rib5 said:
The other posts got most of the stuff pretty much. But to get the most magnification out of your telescope you want the focal point on the first lens to be the largest possible, and then the focal length on the eyepiece to be as short as possible. But making it too short causes aberrations and imperfections, so you need to find a balance between the two lenses. I just know what the mathematical stuff is but I have no idea what the practical measurements are so I would go with what the person above me said :)

Thanks all ! Now I'm start building it

And one last question, why the image is inverted ? which is up side down

1. What is a refractor telescope?

A refractor telescope is a type of telescope that uses lenses to gather and focus light in order to create an image. It is also known as a dioptric telescope.

2. How does a refractor telescope work?

A refractor telescope works by using a convex lens, called the objective lens, to gather and focus light from distant objects. The light then passes through a smaller lens, called the eyepiece, which magnifies the image for the viewer to see.

3. What are the advantages of a refractor telescope?

Refractor telescopes have several advantages over other types of telescopes. They are relatively easy to use and maintain, have a sturdy design, and produce high-quality images with minimal distortion.

4. What are the limitations of a refractor telescope?

One limitation of a refractor telescope is its size and weight. They tend to be larger and heavier than other types of telescopes, making them less portable. Additionally, they are more expensive than other types of telescopes and may have a narrower field of view.

5. What should I consider when purchasing a refractor telescope?

When purchasing a refractor telescope, you should consider the aperture size, which determines how much light the telescope can gather, and the focal length, which determines the magnification power. You should also consider the type and quality of the lenses, as well as the mount and tripod for stability.