Tensor - the indicial notation, beginners problem

In summary, the problem is understanding how to go from a first order tensor E_kk to a second order tensor E_ij. The solution involves understanding the Kronecker delta.
Dafe
1. The problem statement and attempt at solution

Given the matrix S_ij and a_i evaluate a),b),c),d) and e)

2A1.jpg

For a) I think i use Einsteins convention.
b) I just first sum on i, and then on j giving me 9 terms. The answer I get is 24.

d) can i change m with i since they are both dummy indexes?

e) the same problem as d I guess, is this allowed?

I'm trying to learn continuum mechanics by my self, and this is the first step.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dafe said:
1. The problem statement and attempt at solution

Given the matrix S_ij and a_i evaluate a),b),c),d) and e)

2A1.jpg

For a) I think i use Einsteins convention.
Yes, that is the sum of numbers on the main diagonal, also called the "trace".

b) I just first sum on i, and then on j giving me 9 terms. The answer I get is 24
?? I get 28, the sum of the squares of all terms. And, of course, (c) is exactly the same as (b).

d) can i change m with i since they are both dummy indexes?
Yes, but why would you want to? In any case this is the sum of the squares of the elements of a, 1+ 4+ 9.

e) the same problem as d I guess, is this allowed?
No, this is not at all the same problem as (d)! (d) was amam which is, as I said, the sum of the squares of the elements of a: the same as the 'dot product' of a with itself. In particular, there is no "S" in (d). (e) is Smnaman. Multiply the "matrix" S with the column vector a, then take the dot product of that with a.

I'm trying to learn continuum mechanics by my self, and this is the first step.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean that e) was the same problem as d), I just wondered if I could change the indices from m to i and so on... You've answered that though, thank you very much!

I'll post some more questions here so I don't spam the forums, hope that's alright.

1. The problem statement and attempt at solution:

2A4-1.jpg

As I see it E_kk is a first order tensor and E_ij is a second order one. How do I go from E_ij to E_kk?

Thank you.

Try to find out what kronecker delta is! Then you will get the answer.

1. What is Tensor Indicial Notation?

Tensor indicial notation is a mathematical notation commonly used in tensor calculus and physics to represent and manipulate tensors. It uses indices to represent the components of tensors, allowing for concise and efficient notation.

2. How do I read and write tensors using indicial notation?

To read a tensor using indicial notation, you start by writing the name of the tensor, followed by its indices in subscript or superscript form. For example, the tensor T can be written as Tij or Tij. To write a tensor, you simply follow the same process in reverse, placing the indices after the tensor name.

3. What are the benefits of using indicial notation?

Indicial notation offers several benefits, including the ability to easily represent and manipulate tensors with multiple indices, a more concise notation compared to other methods, and the ability to easily generalize equations to higher dimensions.

4. How is Tensor Indicial Notation different from other notations?

Tensor indicial notation is different from other notations, such as matrix notation, in that it allows for the efficient representation of tensors with multiple indices. It also allows for the generalization of equations to higher dimensions, which can be difficult to achieve with other notations.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when using Tensor Indicial Notation?

One common mistake when using indicial notation is misplacing or omitting indices. It is important to keep track of the indices and their placement, as they represent different components of the tensor. Another mistake is using incorrect index notation, such as using the same index multiple times in an equation or using an index that is out of bounds for the tensor.