Physics question-finding the magnitude of the electric field

In summary, the question involves finding the magnitude of the electric field acting on a charged insulating ball suspended by a thread. Using the given mass, charge, and angle, the electric field can be calculated using the formula e=Fe/q. However, it is important to consider the other forces acting on the ball, such as gravity and tension from the thread, and to break them down into vertical and horizontal components.
nba23
Physics question--finding the magnitude of the electric field

Homework Statement

A charged insulating ball of mass 7.0g with a uniform charge of 1.5mC hangs from a light thread inclined at an angle of 8 degrees to the vertical. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field.

Homework Equations

q=mg/e

e= Fe/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer. I am not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i don't know which formula i need to use for this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

nba23 said:
I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer.
That would apply if the ball were suspended solely by the electric field, but its not--there's a string attached.
I am not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i don't know which formula i need to use for this question.
Which way does the field point? (I presume horizontally.)

What forces act on the ball? (Draw a diagram for yourself.) What must the net force be? Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components separately.

Dear student,

In order to find the magnitude of the electric field in this scenario, we need to use the formula e= Fe/q, where e is the magnitude of the electric field, Fe is the electric force, and q is the charge of the insulating ball.

First, we need to find the electric force acting on the ball. This can be done using the formula Fe= qE, where E is the electric field. In this case, the electric force is equal to the weight of the ball, which is given by mg. Therefore, we can write:

Fe= qE = mg

Solving for E, we get:

E= Fe/q = mg/q

Next, we need to find the value of q. We are given that the ball has a charge of 1.5mC, which is equivalent to 1.5x10^-3 C.

Plugging in the values, we get:

E= (0.007kg)(9.8m/s^2)/(1.5x10^-3 C) = 45.33x10^3 N/C

Therefore, the magnitude of the electric field is 45.33x10^3 N/C.

As for the given angle, we do not need to use it in this calculation as it does not affect the magnitude of the electric field. It only affects the direction of the electric field.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How do you find the magnitude of the electric field?

To find the magnitude of the electric field, you need to use the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge. You can also use the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the source charge, and r is the distance between the source charge and the point where you want to find the electric field.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb, which is equivalent to Volts per meter (V/m).

3. Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative. This indicates the direction of the electric field, with a negative value indicating a field in the opposite direction of a positive value.

4. How does the distance between the source charge and the point of interest affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source charge and the point of interest. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

5. Is the magnitude of the electric field the same at all points around a source charge?

No, the magnitude of the electric field can vary at different points around a source charge. This is because the direction and strength of the electric field depend on the distance from the source charge and the distribution of other charges in the surrounding area.