What MATH should I know for grad school physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary math courses for understanding graduate-level physics, including particle physics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. The recommended courses include real analysis, complex analysis, vector calculus, calculus of variations, ODEs and PDEs, linear algebra, and differential geometry. Group theory is also mentioned as a helpful subject to be familiar with. It is suggested to look at the curriculums of different graduate schools and note required pre-requisite courses.
Geezer
I've taken all the usual undergrad math courses needed for undergrad physics: calc, diff eq, linear algebra, etc. However, when I read some of the discussions on this board, or when I look at more advanced books, I'm completely lost by the math!

What math do I need to understand?

I hear references to group theory, for example. And then there are tensors and such for GR (which I'm just now starting to understand a bit). But none of these maths were offered at my undergrad institution for undergrad students.

So, what math do I need to know? Or what are good courses to take so I can understand grad-level physics (say, particle physics, QFT, grad-level quantum) and GR?

Thanks, guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well unless you're doing particle physics or QFT you won't learn those and unless you're doing GR you won't learn GR. In general no grad student studies all areas. So I'd say it entirely depends on what you're going into. But in general I'd say the standard is

-Real Analysis
-Complex Analysis
-Vector Calc
-A teensy bit of Calculus of Variations
-ODE's and PDE's
-linear algebra

Generally once you've done your mathematical physics course that are core for pretty much all physics majors you're done.

I'd throw in differential geometry into the mix. I've heard it is a great help for GR. Ask some graduate students what classes they felt were helpful and see what you come up with.

Group theory is a great thing to be familiar with, at least at a basic level, before you go into grad school. Obviously it's most relevant for certain areas like particle physics, but even basic quantum mechanics uses it. Group theory is the one class that I didn't take as an undergrad but wished I had.

In contrast, I haven't found complex analysis to be all that useful (although it was a requirement of my undergrad program, so I guess it must be good for something).

Take a look at some physics curriculums in different graduate schools for various types of physics...see what math courses are required/provided in the areas of special interest to you...also note required pre-requisite courses.

If you can get through boas i'd say you're set for jackson and sakurai.

1. What specific math topics should I focus on for grad school physics?

In general, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These topics are essential for understanding the mathematical concepts used in physics. Additionally, knowledge of vector calculus, complex analysis, and Fourier analysis can also be beneficial.

2. Do I need to know advanced math like abstract algebra or topology for grad school physics?

While having a background in advanced math can be helpful, it is not necessary for most graduate level physics courses. It is more important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

3. How much math will I actually use in my graduate physics courses?

The amount of math used in graduate physics courses can vary depending on the specific course and topic. However, a solid understanding of mathematical concepts is crucial for understanding and solving complex physics problems. It is also important to have the ability to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios.

4. Is it necessary to have a perfect understanding of math before starting grad school physics?

While it is important to have a strong foundation in math, it is not necessary to have a perfect understanding before starting grad school physics. Graduate level courses will often review important mathematical concepts and provide additional resources for students to improve their math skills. It is important to have a willingness to learn and a strong work ethic.

5. What resources are available to help me improve my math skills for grad school physics?

There are many resources available to help students improve their math skills for grad school physics. Many universities offer tutoring services and study groups for math courses. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses and tutorials on various math topics. Additionally, textbooks and practice problems can be helpful for self-study and improvement.