Determining Limiting Distribution

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the limiting distribution of Yn, which is the sample mean of a gamma distribution with parameters alpha = n and beta, approaches a normal distribution with mean 1/beta and variance 1/(beta^2n) as the sample size increases. This is based on the Central Limit Theorem and the properties of the gamma distribution.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Let Xn have a gamma distribution with parameters alpha = n, and beta, where beta is not a function of n. Let Yn = Xn/n. Find the limiting distribution of Yn.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E(e^{tY_n}) = E(e^{t\frac{X_n}{n}})[/tex]

I'm stuck here. I know that the MGF of a gamma distribution (in this case) is [tex](1-\beta t)^{-n}[/tex]

I'm not sure with what to do about the 1/n in the MGF. Would it be just [tex]\frac{(1-\beta t)^{-n}}{n}[/tex]

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to find the limiting distribution of Yn, we can use the concept of the Central Limit Theorem (CLT). The CLT states that as the sample size increases, the distribution of the sample mean approaches a normal distribution with mean equal to the population mean and variance equal to the population variance divided by the sample size. In our case, the sample mean is Yn = Xn/n.

We know that the gamma distribution has a mean of alpha/beta and a variance of alpha/beta^2. In this case, as n increases, the mean of Yn approaches 1/beta and the variance approaches 1/(beta^2n). Therefore, the limiting distribution of Yn is a normal distribution with mean 1/beta and variance 1/(beta^2n).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a limiting distribution?

A limiting distribution is the stable and asymptotic distribution that a series of random variables converges to as the number of trials or observations increases infinitely. It represents the long-term behavior of a random process.

2. How is the limiting distribution determined?

The limiting distribution can be determined through various mathematical methods, such as using the central limit theorem or finding the stationary distribution of a Markov chain. It can also be estimated empirically through simulation or by analyzing a large sample of data.

3. Why is the limiting distribution important?

The limiting distribution is important because it provides insights into the behavior of a random process over a long period of time. It can help predict the likelihood of certain outcomes and make inferences about the underlying population from which the data was collected.

4. What factors can affect the limiting distribution?

The limiting distribution can be affected by the initial conditions of the process, as well as any changes or fluctuations in the underlying parameters. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as the sample size and the distribution of the data.

5. How is the limiting distribution used in practical applications?

The limiting distribution is used in various fields, such as finance, physics, and biology, to model and analyze complex systems. It can also be used in statistical inference and hypothesis testing to make predictions about future events or to compare different groups or populations.