Saving Ash from a Volcanic Eruption: A Geologist's Perspective

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, all flights into and out of Europe have been cancelled due to the eruption of the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano in Iceland. The ash cloud from the volcano is spreading south and aircraft don't like flying over volcanoes.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
That's quite a spectacle:

[PLAIN]http://www.icelandviking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eyjafjallajokull-volcano-eruption-2010.jpg [Broken]

http://www.icelandviking.com/volcanoes/eyjafjallajokull-volcano-eruption/ [Broken]

which also states:
Throughout history, Katla always erupted after Eyjafjallajokull, the only question is when and how strong her eruption will be. Geologists not only from Iceland, but certainly from all over the world tend to agree that if Katla goes off, the eruption could have global consequences.

Aircraft don't like Volcanoes as we discussed before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
Aircraft don't like Volcanoes

You can't say for sure. Could be volcanoes don't like aircrafts and they do what they can to ground them.

Edit: so far, so good. http://www.ruv.is/katla/

Does anyone know where one can find satellite images of the ash cloud?

AppleBite said:
Does anyone know where one can find satellite images of the ash cloud?
Im not sure if the (cloud) would show up.

Icelandic volcano closes northern European airspace

All flights in and out of the UK and several other European countries have been suspended as ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland moves south.

Up to 4,000 flights are being canceled with airspace closed in Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark among others.

The UK's air traffic control service (Nats) said no flights would be allowed in or out of UK airspace until 0700 BST on Friday amid fears of engine damage.

The airspace restriction was the worst in living memory, a spokesman said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

I have to say, it's eerily quiet with no planes overhead!

cristo said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

I have to say, it's eerily quiet with no planes overhead!
Very quiet in New England just after 9-11, too. Only military planes. It's odd what you get used to. I hope that volcano settles down soon - that's a pretty wide-spread disruption.

From one of Evo's links:

wm1rb5.jpg

Any PFers in that area seeing ash fall? Any other signs - perhaps an unusual sunset color?

We are waiting for that

It has just been decided that the Netherlands air space is closed to all air traffic.

lisab said:
Any PFers in that area seeing ash fall? Any other signs - perhaps an unusual sunset color?

Sun is already low here so I went to the attic to check - and I found our roof window facing north is covered with ash. But it is less than 10 feet from the chimney, so I don't blame Icelandic volcano. So far Sun doesn't look unusuall. But then I am on the border of the marked area.

You can listen to the latest information for aircraft on Shannon Volmet on 5505 KHz. If you listen to Shanwick ATC on e.g. 5616 KHz, you'll hear that ATC is constantly asking pilots if they aware of the situation.

Anyway nothing unusual here, the sunset is pretty standard in a bit hazy weather conditions and only a few cloud.

There is something else worth seeing today after sunset. Venus, Mercury and a very young cresent Moon in one line. Venus is easy to see with the naked eye. You can use a binocular to locate Mercury. Just look at Venus and then move to the north-west. When Venus moves out of the field of view in a typical 8 by 40 bino in the upper left corner, Mercury will enter in the field of view.

Then knowing where Mercury is in the sky, you should be able to spot it with the naked eye.

Count Iblis said:
Venus, Mercury and a very young cresent Moon in one line.

Planets in one line, volcanoes erupting, in 2012 world will come to an end, I tell ya.

Nothing of note here (London) from what I could see, then again, I live on the east side of a hill so my view of sunset is lame.

Rubbish. I was supposed to be going to Ireland for the weekend. Booo!

Better no flights than glass forming in your turbines...

@turbo-1: No kidding! I used to work a bit at Hanscom AFB, and the old fighter-interceptors were going nonstop.

Borek said:
Planets in one line, volcanoes erupting, in 2012 world will come to an end, I tell ya.

And did anyone notice that the name of the volcano, Eyjafjallajoekull, is an anagram of: Jell-La, A Jay, Flu Joke! Which means...well...ok I don't know. But it will all become clear to us, I'm sure, as the fateful day approaches.

Andre said:
We are waiting for that

It has just been decided that the Netherlands air space is closed to all air traffic.
Andre, don't these ash plumes concentrate mainly at high altitude, and thus wouldn't it be possible to have some aviation traffic fly at 8-12,000 ft for awhile, weather permitting? Edit: Or, could some of the jumbos climb over at ~45,000?

Last edited:
mheslep said:
Andre, don't these ash plumes concentrate mainly at high altitude, and thus wouldn't it be possible to have some aviation traffic fly at 8-12,000 ft for awhile, weather permitting?

I'm not sure about the logic of the spreading of the ash in three dimensions, but in the flying business, safety desicions are normally very conservative and pragmatic solutions like that are usually out of bounds.

Borek said:

See we told you the icelanders were terrorists (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7662827.stm) what's more a weapon of MASS destruction than a volcano!

The US could do more to help though - can't you pacify volcanoes by throwing people from Virginia into them?

No reason why a little volcano should stop British flights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9)

Andre said:
I'm not sure about the logic of the spreading of the ash in three dimensions, but in the flying business, safety desicions are normally very conservative and pragmatic solutions like that are usually out of bounds.
Sure, but aviation flys around bad weather every day, weather that would be very dangerous if flown through. The trick here would be localizing the plume similarly. Maybe that can't be done.

mheslep said:
Sure, but aviation flys around bad weather every day, weather that would be very dangerous if flown through. The trick here would be localizing the plume similarly. Maybe that can't be done.

Yes, thunderstorms are clearly visible on weather radars which are operating in frequency ranges, optimized for reflecting water. Volcanic dust is usually dry.

mgb_phys said:
No reason why a little volcano should stop British flights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9)

That link states:

The crew decided to fly the ILS, Instrument Landing System, however, the glideslope was inoperative, so they flew the localizer as the first officer monitored the airport's DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). He then called out how high they should be at each DME step along the final track to the runway, creating a virtual glide slope for them to follow. It was, in Moody's words, "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse".

A bit off track but If you'd happen to fly an older generation jet without ILS, you would not know better than this is daily standard operation procedure, except that, flying solo, you don't have a first officer calling out altitudes and distances.

Anyway, Nobody is stopping the KLM either

Air space over northern Poland closed.

Getting to Kraków for funeral will be tricky.

From http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/15/iceland.flights/index.html?hpt=T2

The prime minister of Norway was among those stranded by the closure of European air space.

Jens Stoltenberg, who was in the United States for President Obama's nuclear summit, is running the Norwegian government from the U.S. via his new iPad, press secretary Sindre Fossum Beyer said.

Looks like the only thing flying over europe are some friends of mine at http://arsf.nerc.ac.uk/ especially funny because the better funded group at www.faam.ac.uk with a jet can't fly because it's being painted !

Good that there were no jet planes when http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Garita_Caldera" [Broken]

Space over Poland closed, with exception of Kraków and radom.

I wonder - do we know of a plot of number of volcanic eruptions and amount of ash ejected in the past? Yes, I am thinking about the subject that we can't discuss. Was the average amount of ash flying in the last 50 years different from the average? I don't want to start a discussion, but if someone can fill my curiosity, that'll be great.

Does anyone know the VEI of this erruption?

mgb_phys said:
The US could do more to help though - can't you pacify volcanoes by throwing people from Virginia into them?
Correction #1: People from right next door to Virginia. Elected officials only; plain old ordinary citizens don't count.

Correction #2: You also missed the tossing of PF annual award winners into the volcano as a placative effect.

<h2>1. How do you predict when a volcano will erupt?</h2><p>Predicting when a volcano will erupt is a complex process that involves monitoring various indicators such as seismic activity, gas emissions, and ground deformation. Geologists use specialized equipment and techniques to track these changes and make informed predictions about the timing and severity of an eruption.</p><h2>2. What are the most effective ways to mitigate the effects of a volcanic eruption?</h2><p>The most effective way to mitigate the effects of a volcanic eruption is through proper planning and preparedness. This includes creating evacuation plans, establishing hazard zones, and educating the public about the potential dangers of living near a volcano. Additionally, implementing early warning systems and investing in infrastructure improvements can also help minimize the impact of an eruption.</p><h2>3. Can volcanic eruptions be prevented?</h2><p>No, volcanic eruptions cannot be prevented. Volcanoes are natural phenomena that are caused by the movement of tectonic plates and the Earth's internal heat. While scientists can monitor and predict eruptions, they do not have the ability to stop them from occurring.</p><h2>4. How do you determine if an area is safe to return to after a volcanic eruption?</h2><p>After a volcanic eruption, geologists assess the area to determine the level of danger and potential hazards. This includes monitoring for ongoing volcanic activity, assessing the stability of the surrounding land, and testing for toxic gases. Once it is deemed safe, a gradual return to the area can be planned.</p><h2>5. What are the long-term effects of a volcanic eruption on the surrounding environment?</h2><p>The long-term effects of a volcanic eruption can vary depending on the severity and type of eruption. In some cases, the surrounding environment may experience soil and water contamination, loss of vegetation, and changes in landforms. However, volcanic eruptions can also provide benefits such as nutrient-rich soil and new land formations. It is important for geologists to monitor and study these effects in order to better understand and prepare for future eruptions.</p>

1. How do you predict when a volcano will erupt?

Predicting when a volcano will erupt is a complex process that involves monitoring various indicators such as seismic activity, gas emissions, and ground deformation. Geologists use specialized equipment and techniques to track these changes and make informed predictions about the timing and severity of an eruption.

2. What are the most effective ways to mitigate the effects of a volcanic eruption?

The most effective way to mitigate the effects of a volcanic eruption is through proper planning and preparedness. This includes creating evacuation plans, establishing hazard zones, and educating the public about the potential dangers of living near a volcano. Additionally, implementing early warning systems and investing in infrastructure improvements can also help minimize the impact of an eruption.

3. Can volcanic eruptions be prevented?

No, volcanic eruptions cannot be prevented. Volcanoes are natural phenomena that are caused by the movement of tectonic plates and the Earth's internal heat. While scientists can monitor and predict eruptions, they do not have the ability to stop them from occurring.

4. How do you determine if an area is safe to return to after a volcanic eruption?

After a volcanic eruption, geologists assess the area to determine the level of danger and potential hazards. This includes monitoring for ongoing volcanic activity, assessing the stability of the surrounding land, and testing for toxic gases. Once it is deemed safe, a gradual return to the area can be planned.

5. What are the long-term effects of a volcanic eruption on the surrounding environment?

The long-term effects of a volcanic eruption can vary depending on the severity and type of eruption. In some cases, the surrounding environment may experience soil and water contamination, loss of vegetation, and changes in landforms. However, volcanic eruptions can also provide benefits such as nutrient-rich soil and new land formations. It is important for geologists to monitor and study these effects in order to better understand and prepare for future eruptions.