Understanding Symmetric/Antisymmetric Wave Functions in QM

In summary, Genneth says that the phase of a wave function is the eigenvalue of the exchange operator. He provides a flawed proof that the phase is always equal to -1 or 1.
silverwhale
Hello Everybody,

I am trying to understand the concept of symmetric and antisymmetric wave functions in QM.

Now the Griffiths and other textbooks I have introduce the exchange operator as an operator that switches two particles in a given two particle wave function.

But then an eigenvalue equation is introduced for the exchange operator with eigenvalues +1 or -1

And finally the original wave function is said to equal the one with the switched particles multiplied by a +1 or a -1.

Now I don't understand how this statement can be made because the switched wave function can not be an eigenfunction of the exchange operator because it is switched and not the original wave function so it does not satisfy the eigenvalue equation for the exchange operator.

Thanks for your Help! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function with two identical particles interchanged can (at most) give a change of phase (multiplication by e^(-i*omega)), since it has to result in the same observables.

So the switched wave function can only differ by a constant factor, which are the eigenvalues of P.

The proof usually given is simply flawed. I wish textbooks would stop using it. Simply swapping labels is not a physical act, and does not change anything. True exchange, by adiabatically moving the particles, picks up a Berry phase due to the intrinsically curved nature of projective complex spaces. For 2 particles in 3D or higher, the phase is restricted to +1 and -1. In 2D, it can be any phase at all. For systems with extra degenerate degrees of freedom, the "phase" can be a matrix which mixes between them. For more particles, more complex patterns can occur (though it may be proved that it is always a combination of the 2 particle possibilities).

So yeah, I'm not surprised that you find the "proof" strange. *wink*

I don't see what you mean by true exchange. How do you implement adiabatically moving one particle around another, and how do you deduce from it interesting facts about the states of two electrons in a 1-d harmonic well?

alxm, do you mean by same observables the same expectation values of the observables?
I can follow your argument.
If I understood you right the phase IS the eigenvalue of P. And we obtain this equating the first equation derived from the expectation values to the eigenvalue equation of P.

Genneth, I read something in that regard but didn't delve into it further. But as I still didn't study Berry phases I am quite unsure if your argumentation is good as a starting point although I think it is the most accurate.

silverwhale said:
alxm, do you mean by same observables the same expectation values of the observables?

Expectation values, then.

If I understood you right the phase IS the eigenvalue of P. And we obtain this equating the first equation derived from the expectation values to the eigenvalue equation of P.

Switching twice must result in the same function, so the phase factor squared must equal unity, hence -1 or 1.

Got it! Thank you!

1. What is a symmetric/antisymmetric wave function in quantum mechanics?

A symmetric wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that remains unchanged when the positions of two identical particles are interchanged. On the other hand, an antisymmetric wave function changes sign when the particles are interchanged. These wave functions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

2. How are symmetric/antisymmetric wave functions related to the properties of particles?

The symmetry or antisymmetry of a wave function is directly related to the intrinsic properties of particles, such as their spin and identity. Particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, have antisymmetric wave functions, while particles with integer spin, such as photons, have symmetric wave functions.

3. What is the significance of symmetric/antisymmetric wave functions in quantum mechanics?

Symmetric and antisymmetric wave functions have important consequences in quantum mechanics. For example, the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state, is a direct result of the antisymmetry of their wave functions. Additionally, the symmetries of wave functions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as their energy levels and interactions with other particles.

4. How are symmetric/antisymmetric wave functions used in practical applications?

Symmetric and antisymmetric wave functions are used extensively in practical applications of quantum mechanics, such as in the design and development of electronic devices. The principles of symmetry and antisymmetry are also crucial in fields like chemistry and materials science, where the behavior of atoms and molecules is governed by the symmetries of their wave functions.

5. Can wave functions be both symmetric and antisymmetric?

No, a wave function can only be either symmetric or antisymmetric. This is known as the symmetry principle in quantum mechanics and is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems. However, in some cases, a wave function may exhibit a mixture of symmetric and antisymmetric components, which is known as a mixed-symmetry wave function.